Menu

Summer reading

Elizabeth86

59 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

What have they enjoyed reading this year?

59 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

What have they enjoyed reading this year?

I'm actually drawing a blank right now.  I know currently my older son is reading My Side of the Mountain and enjoying that and my other son is reading the 2nd Beverly Cleary book about the mouse and the motors cycle.  I have the follow-up books in both of these series in mind already.  I will have to get back to you when I can think.  lol 

Finish the Mouse and the Motorcycle trilogy for sure. Mine loved it. Also, My Father's Dragon trilogy if they haven't read it or heard it read. Mine loved Who Was at that age, and I Survived. Stone Fox, The Big Wave, and The Cay* are faves. Boxcar Children series. 

*preread for racial themes/words

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm...in that case I'll throw out some that my kids liked along with short descriptions.

A Year Down Yonder - Richard Peck, each chapter is a stand alone story about 2 kids visiting their grandmother every year during the summer.  If they like this I'd recommend any from him.  There is a preceding book called A Long Way From Chicago but this one made my kid want to know more about them all rather than starting with the first and working to this one.

The Great Brain - Fitzgerald, the story of two brothers in a large Mormon family, with the one always getting the upper hand.  There is a sad twist at the end, but the book is engaging enough to have made my kid want to read the next 7 or so.

Gone Away Lake - Elizabeth Enright.  A set of cousins descend on what was a vacation resort half a century before.  They explore old homes and meet neighbors.

The Willoughbys - Lois Lowry.  Parents want to get rid of their kids, the kids want to get rid of their parents.  There is a movie but I'd really suggest the book instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They should be able to choose their own books if you take them to the library. The librarian can give them a tour and show them how to find the appropriate sections. Our library has books together in sections (classic, easy readers, etc.) and popular juvenile fiction by author. It's very navigable for 9/10 yos. 

What you do then is make a diversity reading checklist they fill in each week to *log* what they're reading. 

At that age, I made my boys a list of types of books they had to read during the summer. That way, they could choose their own at the library. It was like a sticker chart, but we holepunched each spot instead. It had things like: mystery, myth, biography, fantasy, something about Castles. That sort of thing. Or, you could do a bingo type thing where they mark off what they read and what category it's in. 

Memoria Press does have great literature selections!  However, my son read a couple of Roald Dahl books this year for fun.  He read James and the Giant Peach and Willy Wonka.  He also likes non-fiction, short stories about history and historical culture (he's been reading about the history of Lego, for example).  He is 10 if that helps. 🙂 

13 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Memoria Press does have great literature selections!  However, my son read a couple of Roald Dahl books this year for fun.  He read James and the Giant Peach and Willy Wonka.  He also likes non-fiction, short stories about history and historical culture (he's been reading about the history of Lego, for example).  He is 10 if that helps. 🙂 

My oldest is reading Dahl now. He also prefers nonfiction and historical fiction. I was thinking yesterday that James and the Giant Peach might be a good read aloud for the kids. They especially like read alouds that have movie adaptations so they can compare.

OP the book Homer Price is another fave here 

3 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

My oldest is reading Dahl now. He also prefers nonfiction and historical fiction. I was thinking yesterday that James and the Giant Peach might be a good read aloud for the kids. They especially like read alouds that have movie adaptations so they can compare.

OP the book Homer Price is another fave here 

I read somewhere online about the appeal of Roald Dahl to children (evil adult characters lol), and it worked on my son, lol. He also loves the classic Willy Wonka movie. We need to see James still 😊

Following! Are you primarily wanting books to read aloud, books for them to read, or both?

This year DS9 has enjoyed reading Matilda, Half Magic, Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, Animorphs (series), I Survived (series), Science Comics (series), The Nerdy Dozen (trilogy), & Warriors (series). 

As read-alouds we’ve done Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH, The Tale of Desperaux, The Lost Years of Merlin (series), & Anne of Green Gables (series). We’ve also been listening to the Harry Potter series on audiobook.

Can you tell my kid likes series?! I don’t dare introduce one unless I’m willing to read / obtain them all. 🤣📚