Menu

Please help me see a good reason for this

ddcrook

It’s likely just a database has associated your father’s name with hers. It’s also possible some bank or insurance agency file changed her address to your father’s. Or her social security payment or some such.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It could be from an old account that she and your dad had jointly.  When he updated his address, her name was still attached to the account.  It could be something silly, like an AARP subscription or magazine and he wouldn't have thought to inform them of her death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Katy said:

It’s likely just a database has associated your father’s name with hers. It’s also possible some bank or insurance agency file changed her address to your father’s. Or her social security payment or some such.

Yep, this.

My mother-in-law died 20 years ago, and we have moved multiple times since. Nonetheless, her name often pops up on sites like that as living at our address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been handling my parents estates coming up on 3 years now. Since in the end my Mom could not handle her mail, I had it forwarded to my house. I frequently get mail for both her and my father who passed away 15 months before she did and never lived at the address we forwarded the mail from. Mailing lists are weird and I'm wondering how long I will get mail for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

I've been handling my parents estates coming up on 3 years now. Since in the end my Mom could not handle her mail, I had it forwarded to my house. I frequently get mail for both her and my father who passed away 15 months before she did and never lived at the address we forwarded the mail from. Mailing lists are weird and I'm wondering how long I will get mail for them. 

We did the same for MIL. Seven years after her death, we still receive mail for her.

OP, I didn't see your original post. Glad everything is ok.

After my parents died, I had their names & addresses removed from marketing lists. This link tells you how to go about it for various sources of junk mail.  On some of them you can specify that the person you are removing is deceased. 
https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-stop-junk-mail

I had them removed from lists using their home address, my moms assisted living apartment and then my address (I was financial POA before they died and was executor of the estate, so I included that one because they received mail here, even though they didn’t live here.

I’ve been successful in spurts stopping my sisters junk mail from coming here, but it often restarts. We have a unique situation though. Her middle name is my first name. I use my maiden name as my middle name and she still uses it as her last name. We both lived with our parents as adults, although at different times and we went to the same college, again at different times. Every so often the  college will sell a list and the marketing people merge our names. Weirdly enough, she has never gotten mail for me - maybe because my first name would be ahead of hers on an alphabetical list. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1