Menu

1950 Census Release

cuckoomamma

Yes, I have lots of holes in my family tree, so I really look forward to working some of that out. I also love history and data. Reading the census is like reading a book to me in that I love seeing how people’s lives changed. I get to read the sped up version as I move through the years and discover what happened to all these people. They’re born, you see them marry, there’s death and wills and who moves out and then moves back with a spouse….all just fun to me 😊

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lisa said:

I finally got around to searching the 1950 on Ancestry and none of my relatives showed up. I don't know why I can't find them.

I think they are still bringing records online.

Then there are spelling errors.  either on the original or by the digitizer.  abbreviating the name.  Moving during the census year - and getting missed. 

I haven't hit the 1950 yet - but I've tracked people over decades and it was clear some people lied on those gov't docs.   I have one ancestor who changed the version of his name on a regular basis to hide from creditors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think they are still bringing records online.

Then there are spelling errors.  either on the original or by the digitizer.  abbreviating the name.  Moving during the census year - and getting missed. 

I haven't hit the 1950 yet - but I've tracked people over decades and it was clear some people lied on those gov't docs.   I have one ancestor who changed the version of his name on a regular basis to hide from creditors.

I will give it some more time then.  I have found spelling errors in other census' and different spellings of last names. I'll be more patient till more of it is online.

I haven't been able to find parents or grandparents.   so I think it's just not available yet.

But I did find someone who has my brother listed as deceased, and has my and my sister's name in his tree.   This is a guy I've had to shut out of things in the past because he oversteps.  I'm so angry.

I've sent him messages to delete this info and respect our privacy - but I'm also contacting Ancestry to delete it.

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I haven't been able to find parents or grandparents.   so I think it's just not available yet.

But I did find someone who has my brother listed as deceased, and has my and my sister's name in his tree.   This is a guy I've had to shut out of things in the past because he oversteps.  I'm so angry.

I've sent him messages to delete this info and respect our privacy - but I'm also contacting Ancestry to delete it.

That's really sad. I've found many inconsistencies and just plain wrong info on many ancestors.  Hopefully Ancestry will help and delete it.

• Like 1

Yes, yiu can search the archives directly. I used the map on Ancestry to get the district and then was able to look up the last known address to find several relatives. Once on the page you can help by transcribing and submitting what’s there. 

Unfortunately, we’ll have to wait awhile to find those who have moved. I also noticed that there were a lot of times that the record was noted that the occupants weren’t home so no census was done. I’ve never seen that in an earlier census.

• 4 weeks later...