Menu

Resources for Seasonal crafts and activities?

I don’t want to necessarily build my curriculum around the seasons (maybe nature study but not *everything*). I am hoping, though, to regularly incorporate seasonal activities with my family, like carving pumpkins and dyeing Easter eggs. My family never did that stuff growing up, so it doesn’t really come naturally to me.

I would love to know about any fabulous resources you all have found in this area. Something that gives ideas, maybe storybook and poetry recommendations for the seasons too? I do know about weefolk art already so I am going to look at that too. Thanks as always for any help you guys can give!

My family did have all of these traditions, so I will say, lots of this is intuitive to me. But one thing I've always done since the kids were little was get library books on everything. Children's books for the seasons will contain craft ideas, bits of history that you can then check out MORE library books about, etc. I have a subscription to Schoolhouseteachers.com which is also fantastic for this kind of thing. Besides whole curriculum or individual classes, they have a seasonal section with unit studies and resources for everything under the sun, down to some that are just lists of great books to check out from the library. If that's not feasible, I often just Google children's lessons about... And come up with ideas for most things. Sorry I'm not very specific. But the library and internet have been my main go tod until the last few years when I joined SHT, and they've always worked for me. Oh, and library classes. Ours has kids classes and storytimes that will often do activities around the seasons too. Their take home kits for each month during Covid in lieu of live classes had a lesson including STEM ideas, but always around the holidays for the month. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

BraveWriter's poetry teatime website includes ideas for seasonal and holiday themed teas, including poetry and sometimes story books as well as some themed craft and snack ideas.

Thank you, the idea of holiday themed teas sounds fun and that’s not something I would have thought of!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

My family did have all of these traditions, so I will say, lots of this is intuitive to me. But one thing I've always done since the kids were little was get library books on everything. Children's books for the seasons will contain craft ideas, bits of history that you can then check out MORE library books about, etc. I have a subscription to Schoolhouseteachers.com which is also fantastic for this kind of thing. Besides whole curriculum or individual classes, they have a seasonal section with unit studies and resources for everything under the sun, down to some that are just lists of great books to check out from the library. If that's not feasible, I often just Google children's lessons about... And come up with ideas for most things. Sorry I'm not very specific. But the library and internet have been my main go tod until the last few years when I joined SHT, and they've always worked for me. Oh, and library classes. Ours has kids classes and storytimes that will often do activities around the seasons too. Their take home kits for each month during Covid in lieu of live classes had a lesson including STEM ideas, but always around the holidays for the month. 

No that’s very helpful. I actually never realized how much the library actually does until I had my son. I can’t believe how much cool stuff I’ve missed out on over the years. I’m looking forward to checking out themed bundles when he gets older.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoodnightMoogle said:

No that’s very helpful. I actually never realized how much the library actually does until I had my son. I can’t believe how much cool stuff I’ve missed out on over the years. I’m looking forward to checking out themed bundles when he gets older.

They are amazing.  Ours has even had take home kits for adults each month during Covid.  So each month I pick up a teen craft kit, a children's one, and the adult one.  Mine will sometimes be cooler than the kids', and they'll be jealous of me, lol. 

• Like 1

We like a lot of the Waldorf (ish) seasonal crafts. I have a couple books I lean on for ideas; All Year Round and A Year of Forest School. They aren’t necessarily must haves but there are plenty of ideas if you’re into nature type crafts. Wild & Free has a seasonal book as well. 

Sing a Song of Seasons is a beautiful poetry book that I love. It was a small fortune, but we use it all the time. 

Other than that I just walk through the craft store and buy whatever cute craft kits they have.

I usually have too many ideas and it turns into the next season before we get to it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1