Menu

knowing when you've stayed too long at the fair

plaidpants

S/O from a thread a few weeks ago about waiting for your life to begin...

How do you know/determine when it's time to end things, give something up, not go back to something, maybe change your approach completely? (That kindergarten dream of being an astronaut, a volunteer gig, writing the next great novel, a relationship, whatever.)

Grit and perseverance and passion aside, There's something to be said for knowing when to quit, let go, move on...

(Apparently the "fair" part of that saying refers to more of a fun thing, but we've always said it for anything)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, plaidpants said:

How do you know/determine when it's time to end things, give something up, not go back to something, maybe change your approach completely? (That kindergarten dream of being an astronaut, a volunteer gig, writing the next great novel, a relationship, whatever.)

I don’t think that is necessarily something you’re going to know. Life is about choices, after all. I mean, now that I work FT, I feel like I stayed to long at the fair of homeschooling. If I got a do-over, perhaps I would choose differently, however, it is what it is at this point, right? 

Realistically, for example, after about ten or fifteen years of writing bits of books - even an entire book in one instance - yet not, so far, publishing one, a case could be made that I’ve wasted enough spiral notebooks and thumb drives on partial stories. Yet I once again place a goal on my goal list to draft an entire book this year. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I guess I just figure, I’m not dead yet and I would rather be doing something than be one of those people who forever says what they are “going” to do. 

I think in the end you just have to choose and then own your choice. In the future, you may wish you had done differently, but I would rather that than wish I had done anything at all. 

• Like 6

I'm considering quitting my job.  I enjoy this part time job.  The money goes to something vital but we could scrimp to make up for it.

What I'm looking at is my mental health.  Before a new boss and new boss's assistant this job helped my mental health.  Working with these two new men tanks my mental health.  

I'm at the point of pulling back where I can to discern if the cruelty is a one off/two off or the new normal.  I did not sign on to work with aggressive men.

ETA: I look at if I'm nourished or diminished

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 5

If you just want to finish just so you can be done doing it. I mean once your brain is fully formed, I think you have a good idea of when to give up on something. From experience "accomplishing" that things isn't really going to be full filling. I should have quit getting my masters and just dealt with everyone's disappointment in me. Instead, I pushed myself through and really don't care that I have it.

• Like 1