Menu

Hit me up with some great hotels in Orlando, close to Universal

katilac

I want hotels versus condos or VRBOs because they have a more generous cancellation policy. 

We will do Universal for 2-3 days but be in the hotel closer to a week. This is probably replacing our all-inclusive (*sobs*), and we'll have young adults with us, so some cool amenities and/or vibes would be welcome. Lazy rivers, rooftop bars, hot tubs, idk . . . walking to things from the hotel might be cool, but not critical. 

Also welcoming ideas for other Orlando things to do! Other than Disney, we really don't want Mickey to know we're cheating on him. 

Well we just stayed at a Universal hotel that was awesome and affordable and brand new — Dockside Inn and Suites. Next door is the Surfside, same thing. Early access to the park and a shuttle over, Starbucks in the lobby, big food court with lots of options. Our suite was perfect for our family of four. 

• Thanks 1

We stayed at Cabana Bay at Universal a few years ago (and are planning on staying there again this summer). It's seriously one of my favorite places ever...it's mid-century marvelous, and very fun...there's a lazy river, several bars, a bowling alley...I don't remember what all else. I also don't know how COVID has changed anything there, but I absolutely loved the experience we had!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

We stayed at Cabana Bay at Universal a few years ago (and are planning on staying there again this summer). It's seriously one of my favorite places ever...it's mid-century marvelous, and very fun...there's a lazy river, several bars, a bowling alley...I don't remember what all else. I also don't know how COVID has changed anything there, but I absolutely loved the experience we had!

This is where we stayed a few years ago and loved it

• Thanks 1

If you can swing it, I’d stay at a premier Universal hotel just for the complimentary express passes at Universal.  Those made our Universal trip last October amazing. We stayed at Hard Rock, but you can hotel hop. Your key cards work at all the universal hotel pools.  Dockside and Cabana Bay both have amazing pool set ups. We spent an afternoon just hotel hopping.

Our flight got delayed and it was cheaper to buy annual passes at that point than to add on another day.  So now I’ve got annual passes and really want to go back. I really love Orlando. My sister’s husband PCS’s out of Florida in July and I literally don’t know how I’m going to manage, because I’ve been going down four or five times a year lol.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, katilac said:

I am eyeing both of those hotels already! We would have to book them room only, not part of a package, because cancellation, but they do look pretty cool. 

I have found that there’s not much of a savings at Universal with packages for room/tickets. You can often find a good park ticket deal through Undercover Tourist.  

• Thanks 1

I looked at packages first because I used to get good, nearly 'all-inclusive' type deals with them at Disney, and then nixed it bc of cancellation. I swear it just didn't click to check hotels only! Their cancellation is 5 days prior, which is not quite as good as the norm of 3 days that I'm seeing, but pretty good nonetheless. 

27 minutes ago, katilac said:

I looked at packages first because I used to get good, nearly 'all-inclusive' type deals with them at Disney, and then nixed it bc of cancellation. I swear it just didn't click to check hotels only! Their cancellation is 5 days prior, which is not quite as good as the norm of 3 days that I'm seeing, but pretty good nonetheless. 

Did you notice in your all-inclusive search that the dining plan isn’t available anymore? AND the magic express is gone?? So their “all-inclusive” really doesn’t have nearly as much to offer as it did in years past, imo. 😔