Menu

Why NOT to encourage a love of reading

ktgrok

One main reason.....if you need to move and their bedrooms and school room are on the second floor. Not only did I break my toe tripping over a VERY heavy box full of DS22's personal reading books (I TOLD him he was packing those boxes too full/heavy!), but then we have all the other kids' personal reading books plus the school books to get up to the second floor! Gotta tell you, the box with the Switch was way lighter!

33 boxes were just the school room, almost all of which are books. Had me rethinking my attitude toward say, Time 4 Learning, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 20
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

It’s definitely broken?  Sorry to hear that.

Hairline fracture. Non displaced. I have to wear the world's ugliest sandal thing for 3 weeks, and no heavy lifting. Which is not good timing given how many boxes of books need to be carried upstairs, and how much shopping we planned on doing. I think I'm going to get pushed around Ikea on one of those long, flat cart things. 

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Hairline fracture. Non displaced. I have to wear the world's ugliest sandal thing for 3 weeks, and no heavy lifting. Which is not good timing given how many boxes of books need to be carried upstairs, and how much shopping we planned on doing. I think I'm going to get pushed around Ikea on one of those long, flat cart things. 

You need to rig a pulley system so the kids can haul them upstairs! Good homeschool lesson on the physics of simple machines! 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

You need to rig a pulley system so the kids can haul them upstairs! Good homeschool lesson on the physics of simple machines! 😁

DH and DS22 have discussed doing something like this out the window, but given the angle of the roof it wasn't feasible. 

You have kids! Free labor!

Have them partially unpack the box on the ground floor, carry the open box upstairs, then go back down and shuffle the books they unpacked back into the box.  Or, if you already have bookcases set up, sit by them, and have kids bring you the half empty box and then the remaining books.  You can totally put your knee into a chair to be not weight bearing on it to access the shelves.

• Like 1