Menu

Booster WWYD

sassenach

I'd get it now, but I also got my Pfizer booster the day after it was approved for me. I figured the antibody boost now was better than waiting, especially adding in a couple of week delay to take full effectiveness. And the higher dose of Moderna seems to have a higher risk of myocarditis for young men. 

I do think that if I had gotten J&J, I'd want to get a Pfizer or Moderna booster because that combination is extremely effective-but I'm very glad I got Pfizer so I had the greater protection last Spring!

• Like 2

My son is high-risk too. I believe they expect Moderna boosters to be approved by the end of this week, and at the 50 microgram dose, not 100 as the original was. I've read risk of myocarditis seems to decrease after initial dose. Based on that and efficacy data, I would wait for Moderna.

Edited by TarynB
  • Like 1

I would wait a week or two to see if you could cross-match to Moderna.

I took my third dose with Pfizer, but only because my kids were starting public school and so their exposure and therefore my exposure were going up significantly in early September.  I didn't think I had time to wait.

If nothing is changing about your exposure, I think it's worth waiting a few weeks.

• Like 1

Toss up on the booster shots.

Given the assumed age, I would ask the administering nurse/pharmacist to aspirate the injection (pulling back to ensure there is no blood) as there are some tentative concerns that the myocarditis risk may be linked to accidentally injecting the vaccines into veins. Not proven, but currently under study.

No downside to taking this step in an "abundance of caution" approach.

Bill

• Like 1