Menu

vacuums again!

ktgrok

so, I've been wanting cordless. I think I am going to get the Shark Cordless Vertex - the upright one, not the other one. I like the shark upright I have, but hate the cord.

But what makes me nuts as I look at vaccums is that they no longer have places to store the tools on board! You get a bag with them, but you can't snap them onto the vacuum to have them handy while cleaning. Am I supposed to carry that bag around with me? Get a tool belt? What? I don't need ALL the tools on board, but a basic upholstry brush or crevice tool combo or something seems reasonable to expect!

At this point, if I have to go get some other thing, I might as well have a separate hand vac!

• Like 1

A handheld cordless vacuum is heavy enough without all that stuff attached.  The truth is the canister is small.  It needs to be emptied so often that you need to go back past the thing that holds all that stuff on the wall to the trash can often enough that you only need one bit at a time.  Literally the only time I missed multiple attachments was when I took the whole thing outside to clean out my car. 

It’s so much easier to use than a corded vacuum you’ll find you use it differently than you think. Need to vacuum upholstery?  Just get that head & do the whole sectional  in 12 minutes.

Kid spill something?  Grab it and hand it to him to clean up immediately. 

Trying to get the visible rooms clean before someone drops by in 10 minutes?  Spray air freshener, get your lines in the carpet, hide the clutter in a basket in a closet, and you’ll still have time to load & unload the dishwasher.  Seriously it’s so handy you’ll use it multiple times a day.  And if you get an allergy attack and feel so sick for two weeks or get behind on a book deadline and ignore life it makes cleaning disaster floors SO much faster than before. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

A handheld cordless vacuum is heavy enough without all that stuff attached.  The truth is the canister is small.  It needs to be emptied so often that you need to go back past the thing that holds all that stuff on the wall to the trash can often enough that you only need one bit at a time.  Literally the only time I missed multiple attachments was when I took the whole thing outside to clean out my car. 

It’s so much easier to use than a corded vacuum you’ll find you use it differently than you think. Need to vacuum upholstery?  Just get that head & do the whole sectional  in 12 minutes.

Kid spill something?  Grab it and hand it to him to clean up immediately. 

Trying to get the visible rooms clean before someone drops by in 10 minutes?  Spray air freshener, get your lines in the carpet, hide the clutter in a basket in a closet, and you’ll still have time to load & unload the dishwasher.  Seriously it’s so handy you’ll use it multiple times a day.  And if you get an allergy attack and feel so sick for two weeks or get behind on a book deadline and ignore life it makes cleaning disaster floors SO much faster than before. 

which one do you have?

It’s a Dyson.  I think a V11?  I had a generic one from Amazon first, which DH hated.  I just decided it was worth the name brand, and up it popped, more than 50% off a refurbished model on Nordstrom Rack. It took FOREVER to get, they used FedEx, which loses everything in our area.  Within 48 hours of having it home I was wishing we had it in our budget to randomly gift them to everyone we love.

You have to be careful to not use the max setting on carpet or it stretches it off the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

It’s a Dyson.  I think a V11?  I had a generic one from Amazon first, which DH hated.  I just decided it was worth the name brand, and up it popped, more than 50% off a refurbished model on Nordstrom Rack. It took FOREVER to get, they used FedEx, which loses everything in our area.  Within 48 hours of having it home I was wishing we had it in our budget to randomly gift them to everyone we love.

You have to be careful to not use the max setting on carpet or it stretches it off the floor. 

Ok, the newest Shark got rated as well as the Dyson V11 and V15 by vacuum wars. Is the weight at the top like that annoying? Would a 9 yr old be able to use it to say, do a room or two? The shark one comes in a form like the Dyson ones, or a version that is basically an upright, but still cordless. 

We have what amazon tells me is a Shark ION cordless stick vacuum.  We use it daily and it works quite well, although DH has to unclog the roller periodically.  

And yes, it is super annoying to have to go find the attachments when you want to get dog hair out of a corner or something.  Of course, it would probably help if we didn't store our attachments in what has only just now occurred to me is an absurdly inconvenient spot.  I don't even know who put them there in the first place (probably DH)?!  Also last week I discovered that somehow we lost the single most useful attachment (the narrow stick one).  How does one lose a vacuum attachment?  We hardly go anywhere, and on the rare occasions we actually leave the house it's not like we bring the vacuum with us.  Just mystifying.

• Haha 3

I'm now drooling over the Cordless Numatic Henry vacuum - he's so cute! 

But at over 500 he doesn't do great on carpet, from what I can tell, so that's a no go. At that price I need it to do both types of flooring. 

I am, however, considering a corded, bagged canister for the downstairs now, because a lot of those have tools on board!