Menu

Suggestions for Algebra?

DS is grade 9, and has been a late bloomer when it comes to math. However, he is now making great strides. We're currently using Math Antics for Pre-Algebra which I expect him to finish up before this year is over, probably by/in February. I am wondering what to use with him next for Algebra. He really doesn't have any interest in math (he's an arts kid through and through). The reason he likes Math Antics is because it's highly visual, and it uses comedy, so it's funny and engaging. He absolutely NEEDS something with a high amount of visuals - whether pictures in a textbook or online, doesn't really matter. He just really needs to see how the process is done, and he also needs very short, concise instructions. We looked into Learn Math Fast, but the lessons are way too much reading for him. I've been considering Math U See, though he thought those videos were boring. But perhaps the manipulatives would help? We've never used it, so I wasn't sure. Any other suggestions for a high-interest/engaging/visual math program for Algebra? Also, preferably something that doesn't break the bank 😉 

Unlock Math has short video lessons, and you can print the matching  instruction pages for reference.  The assignment problems are corrected immediately, and you can see detailed solutions.  Assignments can be redone with new problems as many times as a student needs to cement understanding.  It's not cheap, but it has a free trial, and I believe there's a month-long money back guarantee.  You'd want to double  check on that.  Unlockmath.com. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:14 AM, Not_a_Number said:

I think the thing tripping people up is the request for visuals. Math U See is really the only one I’ve heard of that’s seriously visual.

Well, not so much in high school. 

It sounds like Jacob's Geometry would work well for him. But I haven't heard of a highly visual Algebra program.

Here are ones we have considered for DS, and what he thought:

Math U See: highly visual, but the explanations are lacking depth.

Mortensen: similar to Gattegno's method, but with different blocks and videos. More depth than MUS at times. I still keep up with Anna's Math Page on Facebook because she's starting to do whiteboard videos.

VideoText: graphics leave something to be desired, and the nonconsumable books are busy.

Brilliant: intriguing, not as interactive as it seems from their commercials.

Gattegno: visual and interactive, but there are no videos.  It's parent driven.

So, that's where we are.  I ended up scaling his actual math back and pushing the math in science, so he has occasional Khan Academy to supplement the lessons.

I had this link saved in my "Resources" document as a possibility for my youngest, when he gets there.  Someone on the hive had recommended his books as being a "fun and accessible" way of learning algebra using manipulatives to help you visualize what you're doing.  He appears to have geometry publications, as well (at least one of which I remember seeing referenced on here a few times).  https://www.mathed.page/my-books/index.html