Menu

Looking for Living Books about countries

Hazelt"nut"

I am in the process of gathering up book titles for my world geography plans for next year. I am finding many pictures books that will be wonderful to read aloud. I do need a few independent readers for my dd. She will be 8 years old and in second grade. My guess is that her reading level is around 4th grade right now. I am looking for chapter books that range from around a second grade to fourth grade level for her to read that relate to a country. I am aware of the MTH books but I would like something else as well. Also if there's a picture book set in another country that you just LOVE...please let me know so I can add it to my evergrowing list!

Thank you,

Sheryl

I have to dig it out from my sig.

Growing Up Around the World: Books as Passports to Global Understanding for Children in the United States is a project of the International Relations Committee of the Association for Library Service to Children: http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/alsc/compubs/booklists/growingupwrld/GrowingUpAroundWorld.cfm

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Elizabeti's Doll and Mama Elizabeti are picture books that we loved for Tanzania and/or Kenya. I lost my tooth in Africa was good for Mali. We read 5 other African books, and these were our favorites and they give a lot of information about how people live there as well. We are studying Asia now, so I will add to the list if we enjoy any as much. The Elizabeti books were amazing, especially since Emily has a baby brother.

I am putting together our World Geography/Cultures (high school level) course for next year and these are great lists! It is always nice to have as many choices as possible.

I am jumping off from Los Banos' World Culture plans that are an adaptation of Winter Promise's Children Around the World course. If you follow the link, make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom where she has each week listed and the links to all the great books and links and videos.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Barb and others,

Thank you so much for your replies. It gives me more researching to do but that is exactly what I wanted. The recommendation for the Los Banos curriculum is great. The ideas for younger siblings will be easy to incorporate in my study. Ok off to keep piecing this thing together.

Maybe when I'm done it can be as helpful to others as all of ya'll have been.

Sheryl

A dear friend of mine created these wonderful unit studies on different countries and she uses living books with her curriculum. She reads every books she adds to her resources list and is very picky about what is recommended as a book resource.

I have done one of her studies and am getting ready to do Brazil. I throughly enjoyed the readers from the Russia study and I am sure her other recommendations for other countries will be enjoyable as well.

Her studies are called: Into All The World. When you click on the link "order these books from Amazon" it will take you to a page that will list the books she recommends to use, not directly to Amazon.

She is coming out with others and I am sure if you had a request, she would look into that for you as well. She is a wonderful gal that has a heart for geography and educating children (and adults) about the world we live in.

Edited by Tina in WA