Menu

Machine for making nut butter

crazyforlatin

I use my Vitamix to make peanut butter but the oil never rises to the top.....or we eat it too quickly for that to happen.  A quart only lasts a week here.

ETA - The Vitamix works very well for this.  But it is also a HUGE pain to clean up afterwards.  It's worth it because we eat a LOT of peanut butter and making it myself costs less than half.

Edited by skimomma
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crazyforlatin said:

I need to make peanut butter that is similar to store-bought where the oil rises to the top. Is that possible to do this at home? 

Any particular blender or nut butter machine?

A food processor fitted with a steel blade works just fine.

Bill

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I use my Vitamix to make peanut butter but the oil never rises to the top.....or we eat it too quickly for that to happen.  A quart only lasts a week here.

ETA - The Vitamix works very well for this.  But it is also a HUGE pain to clean up afterwards.  It's worth it because we eat a LOT of peanut butter and making it myself costs less than half.

Thanks  for the suggestion! Do you use Vitamix for other foods? I’m just wondering how clean I can get it should I need to use it for something else and where someone might be allergic to peanuts. Is it easy to clean the smallest areas?

2 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I don’t even have a food processor. Any brand/model you like?

We have a Cuisinart (two actually, one is a back up thrift-store find that my wife could not pass up).

This is one of those rare items where I don't have a strong opinion on model/brand. Every food processor I have ever used (going back to the late 70s) has been fully adequate to my needs.

I have always used my food processors almost exclusively with a steel blade (so no cutting, slicing, grating, etc. for me). Those latter tasks are easier if the machine has a larger feeding tube, otherwise I'd get what matches one's budget.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Thanks  for the suggestion! Do you use Vitamix for other foods? I’m just wondering how clean I can get it should I need to use it for something else and where someone might be allergic to peanuts. Is it easy to clean the smallest areas?

All of my blender type things clean just fine with some hot water, couple drops of soap, and running it for a few seconds.

That said, I wouldn’t use ANYTHING that shmooshed peanuts to make other food for possible peanut allergic people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I haven't used mine to make peanut butter, but I do put peanut butter in smoothies and it cleans up pretty easily with hot water and Dawn. I use the sink sprayer with very hot water to get most of it out, then add Dawn and more hot water, blend it on high, wipe it out, rinse.

That said, If you also need to use it to make foods for someone who is allergic to peanuts, I would probably get a second container and reserve it for peanut butter.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

So with store bought peanut butter or tahini or almond butter, there’s oil on top because it’s been sitting in a jar for some time? These are products without added oil. If made fresh the oil won’t separate from the nuts or seeds? 

Yes. The oil separation is a function of sitting on a shelf. Freshly made peanut butter (etc) will not seperate immediately.

Bill

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

It does clean up well by running it with soap and water as others have said.  What is a pain for me is getting as much of the nut butter out before cleaning.  It is just hard to scrape out of everything.  I too would not use this for preparing anything for someone with a nut allergy.  If I had that issue, I'd buy a second pitcher just for allergy foods. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

So with store bought peanut butter or tahini or almond butter, there’s oil on top because it’s been sitting in a jar for some time? These are products without added oil. If made fresh the oil won’t separate from the nuts or seeds? 

This is what I assume since I have never had the oil separate with the home-ground butter.  In fact, that is another big reason I make my own.....to not have to deal with the oily mess that always happens when trying to stir up a new jar!

• Thanks 1

I use my old blender to make peanut butter, per the Saxon recipe.  I add olive oil to salted, roasted peanuts and blend them until they are grainy mustard consistency.  It is so crazy good on apple slices.  Whenever the tart green apples come into season I know it’s time to break out the blender.

I scoop out all the peanut butter into another container, and then soak the blender jar, still screwed together, and then wash it upside down in the dishwasher, still screwed together.  This works great.