Menu

I'm thinking about buying a bow and arrow set for my boys....

We purchased a nice set for my ds10 and ds9 a couple years back. The sets were well-made and reasonably priced. I believe we purchased them from Cabelas (http://www.cabelas.com) for around $20. The boys LOVED them for a few months, then got tired of them. They were real bow and arrows (blunt tip arrows, though, not sharp) so we had to be very careful about them following the safety rules. Great gift for a young boy...just make sure you drill the safety rules w/ them so nobody gets hurt. :)

My ds has a set from Academy. It was about $13. It's the same kind of bow they use in scouts, and has held up perfectly (he got it about 2 yrs ago, and he is hard on it!) It only comes w/ a couple of arrows, so you'll need to purchase a few more, but they are less than $2 each.

My ds has a set from Academy. It was about $13. It's the same kind of bow they use in scouts, and has held up perfectly (he got it about 2 yrs ago, and he is hard on it!) It only comes w/ a couple of arrows, so you'll need to purchase a few more, but they are less than $2 each.

I'm trying to google for Academy, but not having much luck. Is it a brand of bow or a store?

Dh teaches hunter safety and all that. He borrowed a few of these (Genesis Bows) to teach archery to our Keepers of the Faith boys, and he really recommends them. You can read their benefits at the link, but the best part is that they can be adjusted to fit a young person for years.

They might be overkill for what you're looking for, but if they decide to start learning archery seriously...

Edited by angela in ohio

My dh has taken up archery hunting and we bought 9yo son a set. Great gift for an outdoorsy boy. We are looking for a suitable one for my 6yob now. We did buy a quality set - and then we got arrows (maybe 4 for $19??) cheap at Walmart about a month ago - so far the arrows have held up surprisingly well.

Lisa

don't worry -- they'll learn that they might be able to get a regular stick to fly outta that bow ;)

they've already asked if it's okay to shoot sticks! :lol:

I think about 3 minutes was the length of time that it took my 5 yo to figure out that he didn't need his arrows, he could still shoot something........

Life with boys, huh?

Wouldn't change it for the world!