Menu

Can I vent without it being taken as me not caring?

Carrie12345

9 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I can agree with the first half of the bolded sentence. Not so much the second, since I'm autistic and I also have this level of perception.
It's dreadfully annoying of us when we give people what they need, instead of what they want, don't you find?

My son with autism is extremely perceptive as well. I think that is one reason it took us a long time to get him diagnosed. There are so many facets to autism and it is upsetting when people try to lump everyone with this diagnosis into one category. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

My son with autism is extremely perceptive as well. I think that is one reason it took us a long time to get him diagnosed. There are so many facets to autism and it is upsetting when people try to lump everyone with this diagnosis into one category. 

I was going by the definition of autism: 

„a developmental disorder of variable severity that is characterized by difficulty in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behavior.“

1 hour ago, GracieJane said:

I was going by the definition of autism: 

„a developmental disorder of variable severity that is characterized by difficulty in social interaction and communication and by restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behavior.“

And those of us with autism (like Rosie) or have kids with autism (like me and OH Homeschooler) are telling you that that definition doesn't mean that autistic people aren't empathetic and sensitive to other people's needs etc. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

And those of us with autism (like Rosie) or have kids with autism (like me and OH Homeschooler) are telling you that that definition doesn't mean that autistic people aren't empathetic and sensitive to other people's needs etc. 

I know and love someone with autism, and I did not say people who fall on the spectrum of autism are not empathetic. Autism by definition is distinguished from other disorders by a marked lack of intuition about social governances and nonverbal cues. If someone who is autistic is very at ease in socially complex situations and easily recognizes facial cues, they are by definition atypical of autism. 

Edited by GracieJane

4 hours ago, GracieJane said:

I know and love someone with autism, and I did not say people who fall on the spectrum of autism are not empathetic. Autism by definition is distinguished from other disorders by a marked lack of intuition about social governances and nonverbal cues. If someone who is autistic is very at ease in socially complex situations and easily recognizes facial cues, they are by definition atypical of autism. 

Not really. It's more that the DSM has been written with such a dreadful lack of nuance.

After all, a person who has no damned clue what to do with neurotypical people will present exactly the same way as someone who has far too many ideas what to do with neurotypical people, but doesn't know which one to apply.

I'm not disordered by the way, just inconvenient. I don't know your loved one. Perhaps they are disordered.

Your position is lacking nuance and you seem to be struggling to adjust your mindset in light of new and reliable information. Are you autistic?

25 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Not really. It's more that the DSM has been written with such a dreadful lack of nuance.

After all, a person who has no damned clue what to do with neurotypical people will present exactly the same way as someone who has far too many ideas what to do with neurotypical people, but doesn't know which one to apply.

I'm not disordered by the way, just inconvenient. I don't know your loved one. Perhaps they are disordered.

Your position is lacking nuance and you seem to be struggling to adjust your mindset in light of new and reliable information. Are you autistic?

Thank you. There are often perpetuated misconceptions out there. And it shouldn’t take an argument for someone to be sensitive to that. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Very well. I‘m sorry for having misunderstood the definition. I wish you well and a lovely evening to you and Ms. Jean. 

• Haha 1