Menu

Education Therapist degree

Wishes

My kiddoes are going to be in outdoor preschool next year, three days a week for three hours at a time. This gives me an unprecedented amount of time. I am looking at earning a Masters in Educational Therapy. I already have a Masters in education and Special education degree so the programs I am looking at seem to only be a year and a half. That seems doable. I do work full time so I’m taking that into consideration as well. Has anyone earned this degree? How many hours a week of studying/homework? I’m looking at an on-line degree, any experiences with that (in ed. therapy)? Any information would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, TravelingChris said:

What is Educational Therapy?

https://childmind.org/article/what-is-an-educational-therapist/

I've been reading about it, trying to find more scholarly articles. It might be the "missing link" for students who receive tutoring, but still aren't progressing quite as much as  they could.

I am not sure this would change the job market for you. I have not heard of this job title before - have you looked for job listings in your area? I have a BS in Special Education for people with Moderate-Severe disabilities and a Masters in Special Education in Applied Behavior Analysis. I currently work as a BCBA. With your previous degrees you already have the credentials to teach the skills described in your linked article. You probably don't need to pay more money for a third degree to qualify for this job.  There is a HUGE market for 1:1 coaching for the skill deficits described and you could get clients quickly. Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wishes said:

https://childmind.org/article/what-is-an-educational-therapist/

I've been reading about it, trying to find more scholarly articles. It might be the "missing link" for students who receive tutoring, but still aren't progressing quite as much as  they could.

There's certification for educational therapists.https://www.aetonline.org/index.php/board-certified-educational-therapist-bcet   I don't think you need an additional masters to get it. What demographic are you wanting to work with? Why don't you just get some certs or do 1:1 and actually make money with what you already have? Around here you would bill at $35-65 an hour easily, maybe more.

A poster who used to hang on LC did get her educational therapist certification and we've had people on LC use ed therapists with their kids. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may or may not exist in your state. I looked at it and find that it isn't a licensure area in my state, but that I can be approved for the state special Ed grant based on my teaching licenses and then get training for specific areas I want to work with kids in. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NorthwestMom said:

I am not sure this would change the job market for you. I have not heard of this job title before - have you looked for job listings in your area? I have a BS in Special Education for people with Moderate-Severe disabilities and a Masters in Special Education in Applied Behavior Analysis. I currently work as a BCBA. With your previous degrees you already have the credentials to teach the skills described in your linked article. You probably don't need to pay more money for a third degree to qualify for this job.  There is a HUGE market for 1:1 coaching for the skill deficits described and you could get clients quickly. Good luck!

That’s true as far as the job market is concerned. I actually have a waiting list for my tutoring business so I don’t lack clients. I was just looking for more techniques to increase the success for certain students. You’re probably right about the price of a third degree though 😊

14 hours ago, PeterPan said:

There's certification for educational therapists.https://www.aetonline.org/index.php/board-certified-educational-therapist-bcet   I don't think you need an additional masters to get it. What demographic are you wanting to work with? Why don't you just get some certs or do 1:1 and actually make money with what you already have? Around here you would bill at $35-65 an hour easily, maybe more.

A poster who used to hang on LC did get her educational therapist certification and we've had people on LC use ed therapists with their kids. 

That’s great information. Thanks!

13 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

It may or may not exist in your state. I looked at it and find that it isn't a licensure area in my state, but that I can be approved for the state special Ed grant based on my teaching licenses and then get training for specific areas I want to work with kids in. 

Interesting idea. Thank you!