Menu

AARRGGGHH! Catholic Mother guilt!!

My dear mother left me a message on my answering machine asking me why I am so upset with her and telling me that I need to call her to clear the air. HUH? I guess I am in the doghouse because I haven't talked to her much since I took her to the doctor two weeks ago for follow up on her spinal compression fractures, got her medicine and groceries. Gee, so I didn't get to talk to her much on Thanksgiving. Well, she was busy talking to her grandchildren and she left early since she her back was hurting. Since then, I have had 3 children get sick, I got sick and this is the busy season for my business. AARRGGGH.

I wasn't mad at my mother before, but I am now:001_huh:. I need to calm down and do the good daughter thing and call her. But then will come the guilt trip that I am just too busy and I have too much on my plate - yada yada yada. Which of my children should I ignore so that I can spend time with her? Which family crisis should I chose not to deal with so that I can chit chat with her.

Talk me down here. Remind me why I need to swallow my pride and call her rather than crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head.

Wait until your homeschooling work is done. That's your main job!

Then wait until you can be breezy and light.

"Wow, Mom, I'm not mad at you at all. I'm so sorry that you got that idea. I sure hope that you're feeling better soon, and not in so much pain anymore. Hey, guess what? My DD is going to be in the Christmas play at church on 12/XX--sure hope you can go! Ooops, there's the doorbell--I think I owe the newspaper man some money. Talk to you soon! Bye bye!"

Talk me down here. Remind me why I need to swallow my pride and call her rather than crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head.

When I have times like this, I try to fast forward 10 - 20 years when I will want to chit chat with my grown dds and dses. Every single time I deal with my parents, I'm very aware that I'm laying down examples for my children one day. Though I hope and pray that I won't be giving any guilt trips!

Lisa

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement. Update: I called her the next day, but got her answering machine. She called me tonight and we talked. I reassured her that I was in no way angry with her and felt bad that I hadn't called her. I have just been torn in so many directions that phone calls have been difficult. On Thanksgiving, both of us were out of it. Mom admitted that because she hasn't been getting out much due to her back pain from the fractures, that she has had too much time to think. I told her that I would be by this weekend and encouraged her to go to the chair exercise class. I told her that they weren't going to kick her out if she could only do a few arm exercises. I am scared that if she is too inactive, she will be very weak and have a bad fall again. I don't think either of us could go through another pelvic fracture, or worse, stroke. I just can't get to see her during the week because, by the time we are finished with school, we are running into rush hour traffic and would not make it back in time for Karate (my boys major form of exercise.) If she had wireless internet in her place, we could do school at her place once in a while, but that isn't happening.

Thanks again, folks!