Menu

I need a hobby......what are your hobbies?

ProudGrandma

I garden, I cook (I have to cook, but I also enjoy trying new recipes and buying fancy new ingredients, cookbooks, etc), I read, I write, I play the ukulele. I sew a bit.

My hobbies ebb and flow a bit. In the past I’ve quilted, done bookbinding, embroidery, knitting, crochet, etc. I’ll try most crafts. Right now my kids are into paracord bracelets, so I’m helping with that, and it’s fun. I used to make hemp bracelets in college and friendship bracelets as a camp counselor, and it’s similar.

i enjoy jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, and sudoku, but just in short bursts from time to time. Things like that are good in that you can pick up a book or puzzle pretty inexpensively and when you’re done you’re done, and there’s not a lot of equipment left collecting dust. Give the puzzle to someone else who likes puzzles or to the thrift store. 

some people like arranging flowers or decorating. Maybe wander through a craft store and see if any kits appeal to you.

i didn’t play an instrument until last year. I was 40. People pick up instruments even later. If it’s not something that interests you, that’s fine, but I had always wanted to learn to play something, only after a few failed attempts at guitar though I didn’t have it in me. Turns out I do, though. I wouldn’t have realized it if I hadn’t bought a ukulele almost on impulse.

I haven’t read any of the replies but I wanted to chime in and tell you that I knit and crochet. I taught myself from library books many years ago before YouTube existed. It’s so much easier to learn now with all the wonderful tutorials available. There is nothing like gifting a handmade blanket at a baby shower. Knitting and crocheting are rare these days. So a handmade gift that doesn’t cost $200 on Etsy is often much-appreciated. I know teenagers that are still sleeping with the baby blankets I made them when they were born. Such a special thing. 💜

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, knittingmomof3 said:

I haven’t read any of the replies but I wanted to chime in and tell you that I knit and crochet. I taught myself from library books many years ago before YouTube existed. It’s so much easier to learn now with all the wonderful tutorials available. There is nothing like gifting a handmade blanket at a baby shower. Knitting and crocheting are rare these days. So a handmade gift that doesn’t cost $200 on Etsy is often much-appreciated. I know teenagers that are still sleeping with the baby blankets I made them when they were born. Such a special thing. 💜

will you please share with me what your baby blankets look like....the ones where teens still love them...that sort of appeals to me...thanks. 

I do calligraphy. It's nice because I produce something but all of it can fit into a notebook and I can recycle the notebook when I'm done. 

I also really liked ballet. I enjoyed it as an activity and loved the way it made me look.

If I had unlimited funds and time I would probably get into laying out electronics circuits for people. I'd get a software license and try getting work layout other peoples idea/designs freelance so I wouldn't have to go into work fulltime. (I did that as part of a job before I became a SAHM and I loved that part of my job.)  

Reading definitely.   Researching more science topics for my classes and working on my classes is an enjoyable hobby.  Endlessly redoing planners seems to be a big hobby of mine right now.  🙄

Kayaking, tai chi, yoga, walking/hiking.  

Kakuro puzzles.  

Rewatching old tv shows (right now Psych and Burn Notice). 

Someday when I have time I want to learn to play keyboard.  I can already read music from high school/middle school.  

Edited by Wheres Toto

Walking (& listening to audio books), kayaking, snow shoeing, hiking (seasonally). Board games.

some dabbling in zen tangles&  sketching or painting. Some ukelele and bucket drumming. I’ve taken classes in those to get started. Taking dance and yoga in the fall.

I like researching things and taking PD classes (I’m a teacher).

But mostly doing family stuff and running the household outside of work hours these days.

Back in our rural homeschooling days I led some 4H and our co op, had dogs, chickens, rabbits, and gardens and infants.

Edited by Hilltopmom

22 hours ago, kfeusse said:

will you please share with me what your baby blankets look like....the ones where teens still love them...that sort of appeals to me...thanks. 

I will try to link a picture here for you. I used to make “baby” blankets years ago. But I switched to a chevron pattern and started making them bigger so they would last beyond the toddler years. I hope this works. I don’t know how to post pictures…

This picture is crochet. If you want to attempt something like this, I can send you some links to YouTube tutorials that are helpful. 

4E1A1F26-006A-44C8-97BA-C7E6BF9B9007.jpeg

Edited by knittingmomof3
  • Like 1

Do you have a community center or someplace similar that offers various classes?  If so, jump on them!   I did this and started painting with acrylics.   Right now, I'm painting peg dolls and plan to donate them to the foster kids org near me.   I'm also planning to paint some smaller canvases and donate them to the nursing home in town.    

Once I get over some health issues, I'm planning to start a book club through our Next Door group.  (Ours is very drama-free!).  I have agoraphobia so i'm not quite sure how it'll turn out, but I'm just going to be honest with the attendees and hope for the best.   

organizing is a hobby of mine.   My mom has even asked that I come help her organize her house and rv... we'll see.   She tends to hoard. 😱

I've started spending more time outside and really my yard has become one big hobby.  I have a black thumb, so not necessarily planting anything (I supervise dh with that 😆), but pruning, raking as my health allows, reading outside, soaking up vitamin d, etc.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...