Menu

Switching Opposites

Does anyones child (older child...not really young children) switch opposites (hot/cold, before/after, etc.). 

It doesn't happen often...most often with hot/cold, before/after...but this week he mixed up girlfriend and boyfriend.

My son has ADHD and Dyslexia.   He's 12.   Could this related to either of those or neither? 

When you pair this with the comments about continued phonological processing/decoding oddities, I would be asking for more thorough SLP evals. Usually the school is going to lick and promise screen test stuff, but there is MUCH more detailed testing that could be done. 

22 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

Not opposites necessarily, but my dd around the same age with dyslexic tendencies will think she said one word but what actually came out was something different.   It makes for some fun lessons, especially with math. 🙄

I do this, but it seems to be age, lol! It's not been a life-long thing for me. Word retrieval issues crop up in my family at about age 30 and just get worse after that. It's like someone set a timer for the connection between brain and mouth to expire. We are all fluent in guessing what people really mean--we call it playing Taboo, like the game.

I think it's not unusual for kids with a variety of labels to sometimes do this, but if there are other red flags, additional language testing never hurts.

• Like 2

Here's another thing I do that's similar.  When sight reading music (violin), if there is a string of notes going up, I'll go down (and vice versa).  My violin teacher would always very patiently explain to me the concept that when the notes go down, the pitch is getting lower.  The problem is that knowing that (and I have no trouble with the concept) doesn't translate into actually being able to do the right thing in real time.  Sigh.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, EKS said:

Here's another thing I do that's similar.  When sight reading music (violin), if there is a string of notes going up, I'll go down (and vice versa).  My violin teacher would always very patiently explain to me the concept that when the notes go down, the pitch is getting lower.  The problem is that knowing that (and I have no trouble with the concept) doesn't translate into actually being able to do the right thing in real time.  Sigh.

Yes!!!  My dyslexic kids do this, and I've been impressed that their piano teacher is soooo patient with them.  

On 5/8/2021 at 4:43 PM, EKS said:

I think it's related to dyslexia.  I do this with right and left and east and west.   I believe my son did and still does this sort of thing as well.

I can't do right and left with good precision. Maybe 80% of the time. I'm not dyslexic, though, at least as far as I know... 

12 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I can't do right and left with good precision. Maybe 80% of the time. I'm not dyslexic, though, at least as far as I know... 

For me it is far more likely that I'll get it wrong than not.

One thing about this that is frightening is when cyclists come up behind me really fast and yell "On your right [or left]!"  I just stay the course rather than move over because it is extremely likely I won't move where I should.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EKS said:

For me it is far more likely that I'll get it wrong than not.

One thing about this that is frightening is when cyclists come up behind me really fast and yell "On your right [or left]!"  I just stay the course rather than move over because it is extremely likely I won't move where I should.

I have to think about what hand I write with. And I'll get THAT wrong about a fifth of the time. But it just does NOT automate. 

DD5 is closer to dyslexic than DD8, I think (she had a strong tendency to read non-linearly, at least, although she doesn't have phonemic processing issues), and she has trouble with right and left, too. For DD8, it automated by itself. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

@EKS, thank you for sharing your experience with reading music. I had no idea this could happen!

I'm curious, if you closed your eyes and imagined reading an English text on a page in front of you, would you imagine the direction of the text correctly? As in, English is written from left to right, so if you could imagine on which side the text starts, then you'd know that's left. (I'm guessing there is a reason that wouldn't work either?)

2 minutes ago, Animula V. Blandula said:

@EKS, thank you for sharing your experience with reading music. I had no idea this could happen!

I'm curious, if you closed your eyes and imagined reading an English text on a page in front of you, would you imagine the direction of the text correctly? As in, English is written from left to right, so if you could imagine on which side the text starts, then you'd know that's left. (I'm guessing there is a reason that wouldn't work either?)

I've actually been trying that, but apparently habits are hard to break!! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I can't do this either! I had to do SO many pushups in high school marching band because I was always going the wrong direction. Also about as far from dyslexic as you can get, I think. 

The funny thing is that I have a pretty good sense of direction, hardly ever get lost, can find my way to a place when I've been there once, always know whether I mean to turn right or left--I just get the words wrong. It's like the wires are crossed in my brain. When I say "right", I usually mean left and vice versa.  

My 5.5DS (not an older child, but it's been remarkably consistent) asks me to "warm" his food when he wants me to cool it off even though he knows what "warm" and "cool" mean. 

• Like 1