Menu

Prednisone and Moderna vaccine

hippymamato3

I had a severe exacerbation of asthma last week (lasted a week...seems a little better finally) and was prescribed prednisone, as well as a bunch of other things. I needed to hvae my second moderna shot during that time, so I had it. Now I'm concerned about its efficacy because I was on prednisone. Anyone have any thoughts who has been on it or is on it longer term? I had my last day of prednisone yesterday.
Thanks!

Edited by hippymamato3

• hippymamato3 changed the title to Prednisone and Moderna vaccine

Maybe call the vaccine center and ask?

FWIW, I take steroids every single day, so I hope the shot will still be effective!  

ETA:  I hope your asthma is better!  Was it allergy induced?

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I know a bit about this, but there is no solid study data on this yet. They can only extrapolate from influenza studies.

1. Yes, it likely had a small ding to efficacy.  In terms of medications, the doses of prednisone given for asthma outbreaks is nothing on the super heavy doses they give to brain cancer patients, etc.  Its immunosuppressive effect is much milder.

2. For those on heavier immunosuppressive medications--like methotrexate or biologics--they are estimating that the coverage will be in the 40-60% range rather than in the 95% plus range.  You're not in this category. 🙂 For those that can safely get off immunosuppressive doses, they are recommending it for covid shots.  My rheumatologist is prescribing prednisone for those who flare while off the heavier stuff. 

3. I think a lot of gaps in coverage will be resolved with boosters. Expect one yearly.

4. If prednisone is what you needed to breathe last week, give yourself some grace. We complicated medical people are doing what we have to to keep on keepin' on. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

MEDICAL COMMUNITY ORIENTED TO CURING DISEASE AND PREDNISONE PROVEN EFFECTIVE AT REDUCING INFLAMMATION FOR MANY RELATED DISEASES. THE PRICE TO PAY IS REDUCED IMMUNOSUPPRESSION ACROSS A VERY BROAD RANGE OF IMMUNITY PATHWAYS.  STATEMENT THAT VERY LITTLE DATA EXISTS IS NOT CORRECT.  NO VALID DATA EXISTS. STATEMENT THAT INFLUENZA DATA CAN BE USED AS A REFERENCE IS INVALID. COVID 19 VACCINATIONS BY MODERNA AND BIONTECH BEAR NO RELATIONSHIP TO MORE CLASSICAL WEAKENED VIRUS ANALOGS FOR THE FLU. 

THESE ARE THE FIRST (OF HOPEFULLY MANY) mRNA TREATMENTS WHICH UTILIZE INTRACELLULAR PROTEIN PRODUCTION TO FOOL THE IMMUNE SYSTEM TO RECOGNIZE AN ARTIFICIAL PROTEIN ANALOG. A 300 MILLION PATIENT SAMPLE (WHICH EXCLUDES PATIENTS USING PREDNISONE)  HAS CONCLUSIVELY SHOWN THESE NANOSIZED PROTEIN PARTICLES CAN EFFECTIVELY FOOL THE SHORT-TERM IMMUNE SYSTEM INTO PRODUCING SHORT TERM EFFECTIVE SECRETIONS.  A 103 PATIENT SAMPLE BASE STUDIED BY MODERNA SHOWS INCONCLUSIVE PROMISE THAT IT CAN ALSO FOOL THE BODY INTO PRODUCING LONG TERM IMMUNOSUPPRESSION FROM THE LYMPH NODES. 

I WOULD REFER YOU TO THE MODERNA WEBSITE DISCUSSION OF IMMUNITY STUDIES OR THEIR REPORTS TO THE FDA.  THE REST OF THE DISCUSSION IS URBAN LEGEND.  WE ARE HOPEFUL BUT UNSURE THIS VACCINATION CAN PROVIDE LIFETIME IMMUNITY.  IF YOU WANT TO PLAY RUSSIAN ROULETTE OF NEGATING THAT WITH PREDNISONE IT IS A PERSONAL CHOICE. THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES TO PREDNISONE.  BTW, THE SAME GOES FOR MODERNA'S NEW PRODUCT ON TRACK FOR APPROVAL THIS FALL, WHICH IS AN ENHANCEMENT BOOSTER FOR ALL COVID VARIANTS AND THE COMMON FLU IN ONE SHOT.

6 minutes ago, greenguy said:

MEDICAL COMMUNITY ORIENTED TO CURING DISEASE AND PREDNISONE PROVEN EFFECTIVE AT REDUCING INFLAMMATION FOR MANY RELATED DISEASES.  

Welcome to the forums. You might want to check your keyboard, I think your CapsLock is stuck.

• Haha 4

What dose of prednisone are you taking? I heard Dr Griffin, on TWIV, answer a similar question on a podcast, and the dose being taken was quite small, can’t remember if it was 5 or 10 mg daily, and he was pretty reassuring about it.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:00 PM, DeainUSA said:

Wow, I take a biologic and had no idea about this!

@DeainUSAA study just posted—the numbers for biologics look more encouraging than expected, but the methotrexate numbers look worse. 
https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/methotrexate-users-have-a-reduced-immune-response-to-mrna-covid-19-vaccine/

• Like 1