Menu

Would I be terrible if I tossed out the rest of the writing for this year?

Janeway

We are doing BJU English. Every other chapter is writing. Each writing chapter explains the type of writing. Then has some sort of graphic organizer. Then moves on to draft, then revise, then proofreading, and then final copy. After that is a chapter review and then a cumulative review.  We did TGTB LA2 this year and BJU 3. We have two writing assignments left...a biography and a compare and contrast essay. Thing is..I am now wondering if taking on two programs was too much. It is April and she would love to spend all her time reading. I would like to take it easy for the rest of the year and am tired of getting on her case to finish the worksheets. But, I also know if I just leave the worksheets in her binder, I will constantly be thinking about it. She has really taken off with reading and would be happy to spend hours every day reading, which is new. She was just an emerging reader last year at this time.

Would I be terrible if I tossed the rest of the writing assignments? And maybe even the grammar..and let her spend the remaining of the year reading and math and focusing on the other stuff we struggle to get to because we run out of time, like Latin, history, and French?

She is second or third grade?  I would do that.  I would then have one or two days a week for her to do Freewrites of some type or another.  If you look up Friday Freewrites on Bravewriter there are ideas.  You just set the timer for however many minutes matches her age.  Have her write.  Then she reads it to you.   (If she is a struggling writer, I would probably do 3-4) I wouldn't take them through all the steps though. 

25 minutes ago, freesia said:

She is second or third grade?  I would do that.  I would then have one or two days a week for her to do Freewrites of some type or another.  If you look up Friday Freewrites on Bravewriter there are ideas.  You just set the timer for however many minutes matches her age.  Have her write.  Then she reads it to you.   (If she is a struggling writer, I would probably do 3-4) I wouldn't take them through all the steps though. 

She loves to write and writes a ton on her own. Then I stop her and make her sit down to do the BJU worksheets. She clearly gets the stuff in the worksheets, but it is just such a drudgery. I feel like the value is gone. Edited to add; this is end of third grade.

Edited by Janeway

8 minutes ago, Janeway said:

She loves to write and writes a ton on her own. Then I stop her and make her sit down to do the BJU worksheets. She clearly gets the stuff in the worksheets, but it is just such a drudgery. I feel like the value is gone.

I personally think when the value is gone, skip it.  That's what I've been doing with my stuff as the year slowly comes to a close so I can focus in on other subjects that I need to get to.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Janeway said:

She loves to write and writes a ton on her own. Then I stop her and make her sit down to do the BJU worksheets. She clearly gets the stuff in the worksheets, but it is just such a drudgery. I feel like the value is gone.

If she is writing a ton on her own, I would just let her write.  It sounds like you've done plenty of guided writing.  My sixth grader is really into writing fiction right now, so I am just reading Writing Magic to her and having her do one history paragraph a week.  Otherwise I've let her write for the past month.  At your dd's age, with what you've done, I would just let her write.  When I taught second grade, some children were still struggling to write at all at the age.  She won't loose a bit from what you have planned.

This is for second or third grade? 

If it is causing undue stress, toss the writing!   Pick it up again next year. 

Let her read/write what she wants to for a month or two.  Let her ENJOY it.  No need to make it a slog at this age.  By the sounds of things, she *has* worked hard this year on age/grade appropriate ELA skills.  She has made good progress; let her relax a bit. 

• Like 1