Menu

Having anxiety dreams over college choice (UNT and UTD)

Janeway

Son, the one who left Baylor, has ASD, decided he will go to UNT starting this summer. He has accepted both UNT and UTD so he is not tied in to only UNT. Problem is, I know he picked UNT because we have been in Denton a lot and he previously took home school classes on UNT campus. His major is computer science. Because of Covid, he has only gotten to visit UTD once a couple years ago. So I am having anxiety about the fact that it feels like UNT was only picked because Covid kept him from visiting so many of the colleges. And really, I think Baylor would have been great for him if Covid had not been an issue. But whatever.  My husband just says forget it, it is what it is. I kind of wonder if I need to drive son out to UTD and just spend time around campus (I already checked, they allow this, it is just most people are online so not much to see) or if I should just forget about it.

• Like 1

Let it go. The college choice, how monumental it may seem at the moment, is really not quite as big a deal as we make it. The student is the creator of his education and will find opportunities in any place. This myth that there is a "perfect match" is really just a myth. A college doesn't need to be a soul mate. It just needs to have a decent degree program in the desired field.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 13

@Janeway  Disregarding the very high level stats of both schools, where UTD would seem to be "a better" school, in the case of your son, my belief is that he is going to greatly benefit from some services that were not available to him at Baylor, or, were only available in an extremely limited way.

I would look at both schools with regard to those special services they have available to their students.   Does one school offer things to him that the other school doesn't offer?

Much good luck to him, whichever school he goes to in the Fall!

• Like 2

@JanewayThis is a follow-on to my previous comments.  I have 2 browser tabs open on USNEWS.COM    One is for UNT and one for UTD.  USNEWS is not a "perfect" web site, but it is a good place to begin looking at stats.

So, I wonder, which school would be "better" for your DS, based on what I "see" about the 2 schools, from those high level stats.

If I assume, which I try not to do, UTD has, in general, students who are better prepared and motivated. That is not to say that UNT will not have plenty of students who are well prepared and motivated.

But, more importantly for your DS, I wonder/suspect that UTD has better support for their students.

If that is true, if your DS, who will IMO benefit greatly from support services in a big public university, becomes interested in UTD, then I would encourage him for UTD.

If he is not interested in UTD then I would encourage him with UNT.