Menu

Pathological Demand Avoidance

gardenmom5

(ASD subtype)

There is a book coming out for classroom strategies!!!!   Of course - it's Amazon UK . . .  because it's recognized in the UK, not in the US.  And of course, not until July, and I can't even put in a preorder . . . . . BUT - I don't care how much the freaking shipping is!  I'm ordering a copy ASAP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Would it be easier to buy it from the us amazon? https://www.amazon.com/Teacher%C2%92s-Introduction-Pathological-Demand-Avoidance/dp/1787754871  It's being published by Jessica Kingsley, which is a good publisher, so it's probably good.

Price isn't too bad, says it's due in July.

This is great - I didn't know it was being published in the US.  (eta: I've got it on pre-order.)

It is supposed to be good - she's contributed stuff to the PDA group to which I belong.  Others on the site are much more familiar with her work.

12 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

In the meantime, have you gone through all Jessica Minihan's stuff? https://jessicaminahan.com/publications/  I went to a full day workshop with her and it pretty much rocked my world. She jokes that she prefers to be called in to consult for the kids with the most profanity, the really hard cases, lol. 

Thank you.  I'm not familiar with her.

After a few incredibly difficult years I feel like we're starting to make incremental progress.

It's pretty lonely, and has been from the beginning with him, in ways that made my super high strung as an infant daughter seem easy.

Edited by gardenmom5

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I may order it. 

I'm positive that is what we were dealing with with my son. Now, it seems better, and I only have maturity as a reason. Not sure if that happens? His father did not outgrow it. 

Aspergers Experts calls what is basically the same thing - Deep in defense mode.  an overwhelmed nervous system, and fight/flight/freeze.  And they get stuck in that loop and can't get out and it feeds the anxiety.   They have their own strategies of things that can help.  (their strategies stimulate the para-sympathetic nervous system, which can calm that cycle.  Anything that stimulates the sympathetic nervous system (which are a lot of things) makes things worse.

PDA just posted this graphic:
image.thumb.png.f1de3b94d58ae91b3c88e93e3235fbb0.png

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2