Menu

Writing a Letter of Recommendation

*Jessica*

A former student of one of my homeschool co-op classes asked me to write a letter of recommendation for him.  I’m happy to do it, but I want to make sure my letter is well written.  Does anyone have link suggestions for how to write a really great letter of recommendation I can follow?  I’ve never done this before, but this is a fantastic kid and I want to do my best.  Thanks!  

• Like 1

I don't know of any resources, but a few things:

Know your audience.  Is the letter going to be used for a wide audience (like all the colleges they're applying to) or for a very specific program or scholarship?

Be specific.  Give examples and tell a story.

Be sure to keep the focus on the student.  Sometimes recommenders end up talking about themselves instead.  Weird, I know, but something to be aware of.

• Like 6

Is it truly a "letter?"  I find that when I'm asked to write recommendations it's via an online form where I'm asked specific questions about the student.  (This is much easier of course!)  

I also check in with the student to see if there is something in particular they would like me to mention.  I want to make sure I didn't forget about something they may have been particularly proud of and are hoping I will write about.  

Otherwise I try to tell stories and anecdotes that are very specific and illustrate what I believe to be true about an applicant.  If I want to communicate that s/he is a hard worker, I will describe a time when they'd stay late to practice some skill, etc.  

• Like 3

1. Gear the recommendation specifically for what is needed.
I've had my co-op students ask me for letters of recommendations for applying for jobs, scholarships, special extracurricular programs, and college honor programs. In addition, several times I've been the teacher/recommender for students filling out the Common App for college applications. Each of those is a bit different in what needs to be the focus.

2. Ask the student for a copy of the instructions/application, and use wording that is listed in the instructions/application.
If they are looking for leadership and responsibility, be sure to use those words and give specific examples of how the student showed those qualities. If they are looking for honors academics or similar, use their words and explain how the student fits what they are looking for.

3. At the beginning of the recommendation be sure to include:
- date, that is clearly BEFORE the deadline for submission
- addressed to specific name listed in the info -- or if no specific person, then to a general, logical recipient ("scholarship committee" "admissions office" "program coordinator" etc.)
- briefly: the student's full name and what they are applying for
- briefly: your connection to the student for context as to how you know the student and how they work

Example:
"February 28, 2021
To the director of the Honor's Program at Universal University,
It is with great pleasure that I am providing a letter of recommendation for Jane Smith as an applicant to the UU's Honors College. Jane has been a top student in several of my classes for the past two years, including both Honors Freshman English, and Advanced Essay Writing." 

4. End with a strong sum-up, statement of willingness to discuss the student further, and your contact info.

Example:
"Due to her honors level of academics, her leadership skills, and her diligent and conscientious work ethic, Jane will be a tremendous asset to both the academic and campus life of Universal University, and to the Honors College. I give Jane Smith my full endorsement and highest recommendation, and would be delighted to answer any further questions about her abilities and character.
Sincerely,
Your Name
your position (example: high school instructor)
email:
phone:

When describing the student's attributes, just like on a resume, use strong verbs that show abilities, and then support with specific examples:
- he oversaw...
- she led...
- ...planned and organized...
- ...earned...
- ...achieved...

Some possible phrases, coupled with a specific example:
- good communication skills = [discuss verbal and writing abilities]
- leadership = did an outstanding job as group leader/project leader
- motivated learner = has high interest in course topics and eagerly participates in class discussion and group projects
- responsible = always on time or early to class
- responsible/hard-working = always turns in work on time; often goes above/beyond assignment requirements
- responsible/shows initiative = if unsure about an assignment, is quick to ask for clarification

And more phrases:
- conscientious / diligent
- regularly participates
- makes insightful contributions
- enjoys learning  /  eager to learn
- quick to make connections
- able to analyze in depth
- excellent thinker
- adept at handling _______ (complex analysis / rigorous assignments / advanced material ....)
- exceptional at ___________
- eager to learn
- strong leadership skills
- dedicated work ethic

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...