Menu

what to do with sick ferrets

caedmyn

My kids got a couple of 4 yo ferrets from another homeschooling family a few months ago.  The previous owners did not disclose that the ferrets had health problems but it became apparent after a couple of weeks that they did.  I googled their symptoms and it appeared that the female has adrenal issues (is super skinny now and has lost most of her fur) and the male has insulinoma and also some sort of growth on his stomach.  Both conditions could be treated but with a lot of expense and extra care involved and we choose not to.  They don’t seem to be unhappy or in pain.  The male mostly slept all the time but lately has seemed to improve and is awake a lot more and moving around better.  He really wants out of the cage and spends quite a bit of time every day trying to shake open the door (apparently he did this at his previous home but hasn’t done it much here until recently...he managed to get the door open a couple times last month and was found sleeping on a jacket in the entryway so that probably has encouraged the door shaking).  They get basic care here but no attention—kids don’t like to hold the furless one and the other pees and poops a ton and so they don’t want to hold him either.  We’ve had a family crisis recently and we really need to not be taking care of these ferrets any longer.  I put an ad on craigslist listing their health conditions and what they come with (cage etc) and asking if anyone wanted to adopt them.  There was a pic of the ferrets but not the cage or anything else.  I got a couple of responses from people saying they’d take them.  DH says anyone who takes them just wants the cage and supplies and will put the ferrets outside to die (it’s about 15 below zero right now).  He says it’d be more humane to put them to sleep.  I’m not opposed to putting them to sleep since their health issues will necessitate that before too long anyway, but I’d rather they go to a home where someone would give them a little love for the rest of their days.  But I don’t really see any way to screen random potential adopters to see what their intentions are.  Would it be better just to put them to sleep?  There’s no ferret rescues here so that’s not an option.

Take them to the vet.  It might be something else that is easily treated ( parasites is one and some do cause fur loss).   Otherwise, for the love of them, call a rescue ( small animal like guinea pigs, rabbits and reptiles will often have ferrets.  It doesn’t have to be just a ferret one).  They will become snake food or other cruel uses. Look on Facebook for a local to you animal page.  Those tend to have slightly better people who actually will take care of the animal.  Charge at least 150 for the cage and all and it weeds out the other people. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you spoken to a vet? What does the family say, would they take them back?

I don’t know what I would do, but it’s a ferret thread so I could not stay away.

My ferret lived to be 9, which I think is old in ferret world.  She did have geriatric health issues, and required extra care at the end.  Of course, I’d had her since she was a baby, and the care was easier because we had a history together (she literally traveled with me, everywhere, for years).  I did have her euthanized, when things got bad.

A few ideas re: rehoming an animal (others may have better advice): I have heard that offering animals free to a good home encourages people who will treat the animal poorly. Always charge at least a small fee.  And for the supplies, too.  You could get creative, and offer to slowly refund their money toward vet care, so that you know they are getting care.  So it wouldn’t be free to a home but sort of subsidized care. I would really look for rescue options, honestly.

Your new babies do sound sick, I’m so sorry. 

ETA: we had three turtles with a massive habitat, and tried terribly hard to make the healthy and happy.  And they were.  And then we realized they were the source of my chronic 3 month bouts of salmonella misery.  It took us over a year to find a rescue where we knew they would be cared for, and not cruelly released into the wild.  My vote would be for a rescue.

Edited by Spryte

Absolutely call all the vets in your area. Often there will be a vet or vet tech who knows someone who may be interested. 

I would be hesitant to adopt them out through Craigslist. Don't even consider anyone who won't provide a veterinary reference. Ask them what pets they currently have, and call the vet to find out what kind of care their pets have received. Ask if you can do a home visit to see where the pets will be living. Ask for permission to visit the ferrets occasionally after adoption to make sure they are doing okay. If they say no to a home visit or later visits, forget it. More suggestions here: https://ferretassn.org/shelter/surrenders/find-home-for-ferrret/

Perhaps if there is a ferret rescue in your state or a nearby state, a rescue transport could help you get them there. 

ETA: I would contact all ferret rescues even remotely close to your state. Send pictures. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Another idea: There are a quite a few ferret groups on Facebook. I would post about your ferrets in as many of these groups as possible, even if they’re not close to you geographically. People are often willing to drive long distances or arrange transport for animals who need rescuing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1