Menu

I need some convincing.....

mommy25

I would like to here your argument on one of the following or both: LATIN and SENTENCE DIAGRAMMING!

I am currently teaching grammar with sentence diagramming but I continually ask myself WHY am I doing this??!!! Please help me to understand this so that this nagging voice will SHUT UP!!! I know that SWB recommends it to aid in the study of grammar but HOW does it make you a better writer?? How does it apply? Ladies with older children who have done this with their children - has it been worth it???

I am not teaching Latin yet but I am getting the same voice!!

I guess I just want to be THOROUGHLY convinced so that I can feel confident when I am teaching it and will not end up dropping it because I don't see the point.

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

I think Latin is very important, but here are some articles that explain why better than I can:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/whylatin.html

http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/images/samples/why_latin.pdf

I heard SWB speak this past summer. I don't have my notes in front of me, but she talked extensively about writing and gave examples of poorly written sentences. The best way to point out the weaknesses in the sentences was to try and diagram them. In our homeschool experience, diagramming sentences helps the writer build solid sentences and can help them make their writing more powerful in the editing stage. For my 7th grader, I found that he can visualize the diagram of the sentence and self-correct grammatical errors or weaknesses with just a few promptings from me. My goal is to get him to see those corrections on his own.

HTH!

I think Latin is very important, but here are some articles that explain why better than I can:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/whylatin.html

http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/images/samples/why_latin.pdf

I heard SWB speak this past summer. I don't have my notes in front of me, but she talked extensively about writing and gave examples of poorly written sentences. The best way to point out the weaknesses in the sentences was to try and diagram them. In our homeschool experience, diagramming sentences helps the writer build solid sentences and can help them make their writing more powerful in the editing stage. For my 7th grader, I found that he can visualize the diagram of the sentence and self-correct grammatical errors or weaknesses with just a few promptings from me. My goal is to get him to see those corrections on his own.

HTH!

:iagree: I was going to post the same links!

If you can diagram a sentence, then you can form a sentence. It's like learning how an engine works before trying to repair, or design one. It IS important. You would be surprised by how many kids in college are incapable of writing complete sentences.

Latin teaches you the roots of many languages. It helps you understand longer, more difficult words and can be really useful in science, since so many scientific terms are Latin. Later, it makes learning European languages much easier.

I really enjoy diagramming (okay, I'm a dork). I enjoy the visual representation of the diagram. While my children also label parts of sentences, I find they retain the information better when they diagram (maybe its a visual thing).

Latin has proven to be very useful as a vocabulary tool, and a gateway to other languages. Our nanny is Romanian, and my children also play at learning Spanish -- they have learned that they understand more than they thought they did because of Latin. But, I'm sure others here can give you much more insight long term (we're only in year 2 right now).

If you can diagram a sentence, then you can form a sentence. It's like learning how an engine works before trying to repair, or design one. It IS important. You would be surprised by how many kids in college are incapable of writing complete sentences.

Latin teaches you the roots of many languages. It helps you understand longer, more difficult words and can be really useful in science, since so many scientific terms are Latin. Later, it makes learning European languages much easier.

But I have been able to write fairly well and make complete sentences w/o knowing how to diagram sentences. When a sentence doesn't make sense or doesn't sound right you just rewrite it until it does make sense. At least this is the way that I have done it for years! Do you diagram a sentence in your mind when you are trying to make it sound better?

Bare with me - I am not trying to be sarcastic - just trying to think my way through this! :D

Perhaps it's a "why" thing -- It's fine to be able to recognize a sentence doesn't sound right, but WHY? By diagramming the sentence it helps you to see what you're saying, versus what you're trying to say.

Sometimes, grammatically correct sentences can sound awkward -- mainly because we no longer speak with the same precision that is required in formal written work. So, going strictly by how it "sounds" isn't the best standard.

Also, how many times do you wish to write or re-write... for a student who may not be able to "hear" what is correct, or incorrrect about a sentence, the diagramming can help them "see" it, or shorten the re-writing process.

FWIW, I only had two years from K-12 in which diagramming was required... I learned more about grammar during those two years than any other time.

I'm tempted to post some of the mistakes my fellow classmates have made this year. Sometimes, the RIGHT way to write something does not sound right. Sometimes, the wrong thing sounds right, but does not actually make a sentence. It sounds stupid, I know, but if you want it done RIGHT, then understanding the mechanics of it is important. My grammar is m'eh, okay, but I use MSWord for all my assignments, and because I know the rules (even if I'm not good at applying them), I know why some of my work flags the grammar check, then I can fix it.

For me, the most important reason to learn these things is so you don't look like an idiot in print, especially when you are writing something important. Grammar and word usage are so........ really, how often do you hear people in general conversation using proper English? It is more in print, where my concern lies, because once it's published there's no more editing.

Perhaps it's a "why" thing -- It's fine to be able to recognize a sentence doesn't sound right, but WHY? By diagramming the sentence it helps you to see what you're saying, versus what you're trying to say.

Sometimes, grammatically correct sentences can sound awkward -- mainly because we no longer speak with the same precision that is required in formal written work. So, going strictly by how it "sounds" isn't the best standard.

Also, how many times do you wish to write or re-write... for a student who may not be able to "hear" what is correct, or incorrrect about a sentence, the diagramming can help them "see" it, or shorten the re-writing process.

FWIW, I only had two years from K-12 in which diagramming was required... I learned more about grammar during those two years than any other time.

Hi Lisa,

Do you find yourself diagramming your own sentences to find out what is wrong or to improve them?

What is FWIW? Do you think the two years of diagramming in which you learned grammar help you to become a better writer? Did you actually apply it to your writing papers? Did you find yourself using it more after teaching it to your children?

Mommy25, I have to agree with you, that many people do NOT need to diagram (or do latin) to be able to read and write proper English. I will say though that there's a higher level of understanding of grammar, a level BEYOND what is necessary to be grammatically correct in english, that is only attained by a bit more nitpicky study of our language or another language. You do not know which of your dc will be gifted in language or which may want to go on to study it in college, say for a ministerial degree (greek and hebrew). It would be a distinct disadvantage NOT to have this deeper level of understanding that comes from more advanced study. Diagramming and latin, in reasonable doses, are ways to get them there. You could do just the diagramming, no latin, and conceivably get them to that point where they could walk into a college level foreign language class and study with ease. You could do latin and not diagramming and conceivably get them there. You could do neither latin nor diagramming and instead teach them another inflected language (my fav is russian) and get them there. There are LOTS of ways to get them there, but that's the goal, to get them to understand grammar and language beyond the most basic, intuitive functioning levels so they can go on in the studies they are called to. It's like the difference between being a good speller by virtue of a good visual memory vs. a good speller who understands all the rules. You can both spell, but one has a higher level of understanding and is going to be able to transfer that knowledge or apply it to new situations.

If it's any encouragement, I've had my dd doing latin for a couple years now and am probably going to let her stop. She's doing PL, LC1, and half of LC2, and she's finally started asking WHY she has to do it, lol. She just doesn't have a language bent. I started her because there was a fabulous co-op class. That made it fun and socialization, good for any only dc. But when I got pregnant, it was too hard to go, eliminating the fun/social aspect. A lot of kids will do something pointless if it's FUN. But with that gone? What I LIKE about her time in latin is the way she thinks through things. She definitely learned the point of an inflected language, which is how to systematically approach things. She hasn't gone far enough in latin to do an amazing amount with grammar, but it would come if she did. Derivatives are another value of latin, and for her that's a wash. She understands them, but she's not the awesomest at memorizing vocab (which of course is necessary!).

So all that was just a rambling way of saying that while I've seen some benefit for my dd, it's not so much as to make me force against her nature or make life arduous. She's good at latin (frankly), and I think she'd continue if she were back in a fun class. But if she wants to stop, that's fine with me too. See you can't see the value of something or put it in its place until you know it. A heavy latin-study advocate can't say they wouldn't have gotten the same benefits by studying a more modern (dare I say USEFUL?) inflected language. People like me, who didn't study latin in school, can't say how much better our lives would be if we had. I personally don't think they would be (any better), but I allow for that. :) However, I did study another inflected language (russian) that made me much more confident with grammar and gave me the satisfaction of reading literature in a foreign language, which I think is something latin students look on fondly when they are accomplished to that level. In that sense the things people ascribe as benefits of latin are not just possible with latin but also with other languages. Oh, I know you get derivatives from latin, but that never made sense to me anyway.

You know what I suggest? Try doing just a few minutes a day of latin with your group of kids as a whole. See what happens. Look how Britta does it on her blog here http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MorningStarLearning/339331/ You could see what happens. Who knows, you might have a budding linguist in your midst! And it would be a small enough time commitment that it would not hurt anything. You'd get some benefits without much hassle, and then you could decide for yourself. You might have a couple kids branch out and realize how much they like foreign languages, and the rest just take it slowly.

Now as far as diagramming, here's my two cents. I think it has some value. Not as much as advertised, but still SOME. It seems rediculous to me to skip it entirely, not when it's such a standard and simple thing to teach. However I also agree it's done like hitting kids over the heads with boards these days, just rough and slamming. I think the new FLL3 and 4 levels probably take it very gently. It can be done so painlessly, in small quantities when they're young, or you can even just wait until they're in junior high and do it in one fell swoop with AG. With my dd, I'm using Shurley Grammar, which is particularly painless and entertaining, with its colorful sentences and short daily doses. For the first couple years I didn't have her do any diagramming at all with it (since it doesn't contain any). Now I've just started diagramming one sentence a day from the 3 sentence lesson. So we parse 3 sentences together using the Q&A flow, then *I* diagram one. We talk about it and she suggests where things go, but I do the work. Painless and perfectly adequate for a 4th grader. She's getting the concepts without all the stress. What could be better! I took a number of advanced grammar and TESL classes in college btw, and although we did very advanced diagramming for those classes, I still don't think it's so important as to torture kids with it or make it arduous and drudgery. Diagramming is FUN, an intellectual activity that shows they are starting to see connections. If your youngers aren't enjoying it, maybe they just aren't ready? You could wait and try again in a year. Many people maintain it's a logic stage activity, not grammar stage at all.

So now you've probably had all the answers you can imagine! Some people see no value in latin and/or diagramming, and some people are religious. Like I said, I'm middle of the road. They have value, but they should be done in pleasant doses and to the extent that fits the interest and maturity of the dc. They aren't worth beating kids up with.

Hi Lisa,

Do you find yourself diagramming your own sentences to find out what is wrong or to improve them?

What is FWIW? Do you think the two years of diagramming in which you learned grammar help you to become a better writer? Did you actually apply it to your writing papers? Did you find yourself using it more after teaching it to your children?

FWIW = For what it's worth :D

Yes, occassionally, I do diagram my own sentences. However, for 10 years my writing consisted of "writing how one spoke," versus formal writing. In my current occupation, where much of it gets published, I spend more time in the editing process.

The two years I spent with diagramming definitely helped me become a better writer, because it gave me a needed visual to the structure of a sentence. It enabled me to see the structure and the relation and interdependence of the words I was using.

With my more visual son, the diagramming really helps more than the labeling (it's also a way to slow him down -- he likes to do everything FAST). I only have one diagramming right now, and it's not a daily practice, it's more of a weekly activity. I don't think diagramming has to be done all the time to be an effective tool (which is what it is -- a tool), a little bit can go a long way.

Mommy25, I have to agree with you, that many people do NOT need to diagram (or do latin) to be able to read and write proper English. I will say though that there's a higher level of understanding of grammar, a level BEYOND what is necessary to be grammatically correct in english, that is only attained by a bit more nitpicky study of our language or another language. You do not know which of your dc will be gifted in language or which may want to go on to study it in college, say for a ministerial degree (greek and hebrew). It would be a distinct disadvantage NOT to have this deeper level of understanding that comes from more advanced study. Diagramming and latin, in reasonable doses, are ways to get them there. You could do just the diagramming, no latin, and conceivably get them to that point where they could walk into a college level foreign language class and study with ease. You could do latin and not diagramming and conceivably get them there. You could do neither latin nor diagramming and instead teach them another inflected language (my fav is russian) and get them there. There are LOTS of ways to get them there, but that's the goal, to get them to understand grammar and language beyond the most basic, intuitive functioning levels so they can go on in the studies they are called to. It's like the difference between being a good speller by virtue of a good visual memory vs. a good speller who understands all the rules. You can both spell, but one has a higher level of understanding and is going to be able to transfer that knowledge or apply it to new situations.

If it's any encouragement, I've had my dd doing latin for a couple years now and am probably going to let her stop. She's doing PL, LC1, and half of LC2, and she's finally started asking WHY she has to do it, lol. She just doesn't have a language bent. I started her because there was a fabulous co-op class. That made it fun and socialization, good for any only dc. But when I got pregnant, it was too hard to go, eliminating the fun/social aspect. A lot of kids will do something pointless if it's FUN. But with that gone? What I LIKE about her time in latin is the way she thinks through things. She definitely learned the point of an inflected language, which is how to systematically approach things. She hasn't gone far enough in latin to do an amazing amount with grammar, but it would come if she did. Derivatives are another value of latin, and for her that's a wash. She understands them, but she's not the awesomest at memorizing vocab (which of course is necessary!).

So all that was just a rambling way of saying that while I've seen some benefit for my dd, it's not so much as to make me force against her nature or make life arduous. She's good at latin (frankly), and I think she'd continue if she were back in a fun class. But if she wants to stop, that's fine with me too. See you can't see the value of something or put it in its place until you know it. A heavy latin-study advocate can't say they wouldn't have gotten the same benefits by studying a more modern (dare I say USEFUL?) inflected language. People like me, who didn't study latin in school, can't say how much better our lives would be if we had. I personally don't think they would be (any better), but I allow for that. :) However, I did study another inflected language (russian) that made me much more confident with grammar and gave me the satisfaction of reading literature in a foreign language, which I think is something latin students look on fondly when they are accomplished to that level. In that sense the things people ascribe as benefits of latin are not just possible with latin but also with other languages. Oh, I know you get derivatives from latin, but that never made sense to me anyway.

You know what I suggest? Try doing just a few minutes a day of latin with your group of kids as a whole. See what happens. Look how Britta does it on her blog here http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MorningStarLearning/339331/ You could see what happens. Who knows, you might have a budding linguist in your midst! And it would be a small enough time commitment that it would not hurt anything. You'd get some benefits without much hassle, and then you could decide for yourself. You might have a couple kids branch out and realize how much they like foreign languages, and the rest just take it slowly.

Now as far as diagramming, here's my two cents. I think it has some value. Not as much as advertised, but still SOME. It seems rediculous to me to skip it entirely, not when it's such a standard and simple thing to teach. However I also agree it's done like hitting kids over the heads with boards these days, just rough and slamming. I think the new FLL3 and 4 levels probably take it very gently. It can be done so painlessly, in small quantities when they're young, or you can even just wait until they're in junior high and do it in one fell swoop with AG. With my dd, I'm using Shurley Grammar, which is particularly painless and entertaining, with its colorful sentences and short daily doses. For the first couple years I didn't have her do any diagramming at all with it (since it doesn't contain any). Now I've just started diagramming one sentence a day from the 3 sentence lesson. So we parse 3 sentences together using the Q&A flow, then *I* diagram one. We talk about it and she suggests where things go, but I do the work. Painless and perfectly adequate for a 4th grader. She's getting the concepts without all the stress. What could be better! I took a number of advanced grammar and TESL classes in college btw, and although we did very advanced diagramming for those classes, I still don't think it's so important as to torture kids with it or make it arduous and drudgery. Diagramming is FUN, an intellectual activity that shows they are starting to see connections. If your youngers aren't enjoying it, maybe they just aren't ready? You could wait and try again in a year. Many people maintain it's a logic stage activity, not grammar stage at all.

So now you've probably had all the answers you can imagine! Some people see no value in latin and/or diagramming, and some people are religious. Like I said, I'm middle of the road. They have value, but they should be done in pleasant doses and to the extent that fits the interest and maturity of the dc. They aren't worth beating kids up with.

Thank you! This has given me so much to think about! I have actually been teaching diagramming to my two oldest using AG and AGJ. I think they are a little bit overwhelmed at parsing and diagramming so many sentences each day. I will probably break it up a little so they will not get burned out.

I think the diagramming is fun as well but they hate it. They keep asking me why they have to learn it. My youngest is not getting it and practically crys when it's time for grammar. Maybe tweaking it a bit is the answer.

Thanks again! :001_smile:

I would like to here your argument on one of the following or both: LATIN and SENTENCE DIAGRAMMING!

I am currently teaching grammar with sentence diagramming but I continually ask myself WHY am I doing this??!!!

I was asking the same thing but now my active visual child is 'getting' REALLY getting parts of speech in a way she hadn't fully grasped before. For her, it makes all the difference. She will have a fundamental systematic organized understanding of english b/c of the picture diagramming creates for her.

I didn't learn diagramming till I was in AP English in maybe 11th grade? But I did have the wonderful experience of attending montessori school from 3 years of age through 3rd grade. Montessori grammar language materials are nothing short of genius. Does what diagramming does but it's easier and more engaging for the child.....and really imo is does it better.

:)

k

IMO for my family, Latin is like advanced math. The reason for doing it would be to stretch the mind and for bragging rights. Not much more benefit for the lives we invision for our children.

IMO again, Diagramming is more important, but as a child I went to PS yet was introduced to a multitude of fine literature, and I feel the exposure to literature makes up for a lack of grammar training.

Oh Mommy25, please back off if they're hating it so much! In fact, I think what you're seeing there is the disadvantage of waiting, that they get whomped all at once rather than getting slowly accustomed to grammar and acclimated, bit by bit. Try putting all your youngers through FLL1/2 and letting the oldest kids inadvertently sit in. Or better yet, let the olders teach the youngers! There's so much simple, foundational stuff in there that many older kids don't get. And when you give them the grammar in little, gentle, peaceful chunks, they get used to it, comfortable with it. You want them to get used to the concepts slowly, over time, so they're never stressful. So many people have phobias about grammar, and it's just not necessary. You wouldn't do that with math, would you? No, you'd back off and work up to the concepts slowly. Same thing with grammar. Make them love it by introducing it peacefully. My dd completed FLL1/2 and then went into WT2 (which applies all that grammar) saying the grammar was EASY. She's not a linguistics buff by any means, but a little gentle foundational work really goes a long way. It gives them some planks to build with, something that is familiar and comfortable.

After you do FLL1/2, then I would do Mad Libs with them as a fun, family activity. And consider putting some of the kids in WT2. Have you seen Writing Tales? WT2 reviews all the basic grammar in the context of the writing lessons. It's just fabulous. From there you could go into JAG much more comfortably, with a good foundation. And I wouldn't diagram so many sentences a day. That's a lot of WRITING, making it additionally unpleasant (at least if you're my dd, haha). I do it on a little white board, the dry erase kind you can get for a couple bucks at Walmart. You can get these packs of snazzy dry erase markers that come in 5 colors and have little erasers on top. Sounds like a luxury, but now you have COLORS to make your diagramming even more fun!

Break the mold. Do whatever it takes to get your diagramming a little more fun and pleasant. And as far as answering your dc, tell them it's giving them a better understanding of grammar so they can later study foreign languages. Many people take a foreign language in high school or college, and many people DON'T fundamentally understand grammar. I remember sitting in my high school russian classes wondering why kids didn't even know what an indirect object was!!! They're solidifying their understanding of these important concepts so they'll be able to study the language of their choice. They don't know what they'll want to study later, and they want all doors to be open to them, not closed because they took shortcuts early on. :)

Oh Mommy25, please back off if they're hating it so much! In fact, I think what you're seeing there is the disadvantage of waiting, that they get whomped all at once rather than getting slowly accustomed to grammar and acclimated, bit by bit. Try putting all your youngers through FLL1/2 and letting the oldest kids inadvertently sit in. Or better yet, let the olders teach the youngers! There's so much simple, foundational stuff in there that many older kids don't get. And when you give them the grammar in little, gentle, peaceful chunks, they get used to it, comfortable with it. You want them to get used to the concepts slowly, over time, so they're never stressful. So many people have phobias about grammar, and it's just not necessary. You wouldn't do that with math, would you? No, you'd back off and work up to the concepts slowly. Same thing with grammar. Make them love it by introducing it peacefully. My dd completed FLL1/2 and then went into WT2 (which applies all that grammar) saying the grammar was EASY. She's not a linguistics buff by any means, but a little gentle foundational work really goes a long way. It gives them some planks to build with, something that is familiar and comfortable.

After you do FLL1/2, then I would do Mad Libs with them as a fun, family activity. And consider putting some of the kids in WT2. Have you seen Writing Tales? WT2 reviews all the basic grammar in the context of the writing lessons. It's just fabulous. From there you could go into JAG much more comfortably, with a good foundation. And I wouldn't diagram so many sentences a day. That's a lot of WRITING, making it additionally unpleasant (at least if you're my dd, haha). I do it on a little white board, the dry erase kind you can get for a couple bucks at Walmart. You can get these packs of snazzy dry erase markers that come in 5 colors and have little erasers on top. Sounds like a luxury, but now you have COLORS to make your diagramming even more fun!

Break the mold. Do whatever it takes to get your diagramming a little more fun and pleasant. And as far as answering your dc, tell them it's giving them a better understanding of grammar so they can later study foreign languages. Many people take a foreign language in high school or college, and many people DON'T fundamentally understand grammar. I remember sitting in my high school russian classes wondering why kids didn't even know what an indirect object was!!! They're solidifying their understanding of these important concepts so they'll be able to study the language of their choice. They don't know what they'll want to study later, and they want all doors to be open to them, not closed because they took shortcuts early on. :)

This is simply wonderful! Thank you for all of your wisdom and advice! I needed to hear this! I bet my children would send you a hug as well. :grouphug:

I have heard of Writing Tales! I own it! Not sure if I am going to use this or WWE along with FLL.

Thanks again!:001_smile:

I really enjoy diagramming (okay, I'm a dork). I enjoy the visual representation of the diagram. While my children also label parts of sentences, I find they retain the information better when they diagram (maybe its a visual thing).

:iagree:

Writing is a very personal thing, and so to have someone criticize one's writing (which must be done by the homeschooling parent, of course) is hard to take. But if a student has the necessary tools to criticize his own writing, it makes for a much more confident writer. It would seem to me that the young writer would be able to take the criticism better if he understood the logic of the poorly written sentence, then had the know-how to fix it himself, BEFORE he handed in the next paper. :001_smile:

:iagree:

My youngest brother last year asked me to help him with his college honors thesis. He got A's in his honors high school English classes and >700 on his SAT-V so he's no dummy. His thesis paper, however, was a HUGE mess. True, one would expect a certain number of mistakes in a rough draft since the focus is on content rather than style. But almost every sentence had a grammatical error and/or awkward phrasing. :ack2:

I blame the "whole language" instruction he received growing up. All the old-school teachers I'd had were retired by the time he went through.

I ended up having to spend the better part of an evening giving him a crash course in sentence diagramming. He found it extremely helpful and wished that he'd been taught it in elementary school as I had been.

I can not speak to diagramming as we are just starting this ourselves.

However, Latin has become one of my favorite subjects. DS seems to enjoy it as well. Why teach Latin? I took four years of Spanish in high school and I see so much of it that has come from Latin. It has improved ds vocabulary and I actually find it helping with phonetically sounding out words. He is mildly dyslexic and the subtle sounds in Latin he has learned better than he ever did English phonics. (please don't diagram that last sentence, I'm still working on my first cup of coffee)

He is very interested in science and it will help with scientific names. He has also now expressed a desire to learn more romance languages. I also see it building good habits of discipline. He has to practice the words and is accountable to me to know them.

I would have never thought I would be excited about teaching or learning Latin, but it has become the main part of day. We plan to continue with Latin in some form through high school.

Edited by elegantlion