Menu

Resources for AP Calc BC Test Prep

I am looking for test prep resources for AP Calc BC exam. This is for my son who has used AOPS Calculus and we need to prep for the AP test before the actual test. He is already familiar with calculator usage.

I have Barron's Prep book and I can get the Princeton Review at my local library. I am wondering if there are any other resources that I can look at. This will be our first venture into AP Exam taking. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Get a College Board account and go straight to the Question Bank.  You can create worksheets about different topics with or without a calculator.  There are some idiosyncratic questions that you really want to be familiar with before the exam, so you don't waste time parsing the question during the exam.  

I had an AoPS calculus student working independently with the textbook only.  At the end of each section, I created a worksheet with College Board questions on the same topic.  Plenty of practice so it was a nice complement.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Get a College Board account and go straight to the Question Bank. 

Is this the same account that is available to providers who get their syllabus approved by the College Board? Thanks for the tip!

Edited by mathnerd

1 hour ago, daijobu said:

Yes, just choose one of the pre-approved sample syllabi and your approval will be automatic.  The Question Bank is really terrific.  

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

Thank you, @daijobu! I will create an account to access the Question Bank.

I think the deadline was January 31st

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-course-audit/calendar

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/pdf/apca-hsp-calendar.pdf

• Like 1

@Kathy in Richmond recommended this old question and answer book that helped my DS learn the "form" the CB likes the answers to be in. He knew plenty of calculus from self-studying with AoPS, but he did need that book to learn how they like the answers to be formatted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011W9EQYI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

Hey Nerd. although the 10th grader completed Thinkwell Cal 1-2, we are not taking ap calc exam until next year.  Instead, we were focusing on math level 2 using Dr John Chung's prep material. I really  like his math 2, and SAT books.  I have not seen the contents of Chung's ab-,bc book, but I will  definitely get a copy this summer.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

@Kathy in Richmond recommended this old question and answer book that helped my DS learn the "form" the CB likes the answers to be in. He knew plenty of calculus from self-studying with AoPS, but he did need that book to learn how they like the answers to be formatted.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011W9EQYI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for the book recommendation, @Momto6inIN! My son too knows the calculus from self-studying AOPS and he is now going through Stewart quickly to practice some Applied Calculus problems. He does need a bit of preparation before taking the AP. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gstharr said:

Hey Nerd. although the 10th grader completed Thinkwell Cal 1-2, we are not taking ap calc exam until next year.  Instead, we were focusing on math level 2 using Dr John Chung's prep material. I really  like his math 2, and SAT books.  I have not seen the contents of Chung's ab-,bc book, but I will  definitely get a copy this summer.

Good luck

Thanks, @gstharr. Is there any specific reason that your 10th grader prefers to do the SAT before the AP Calc exam? I was going to get the Chung book for SAT later on, but did not know that he had a BC Calc book as well. Off to google.

2 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Thanks, @gstharr. Is there any specific reason that your 10th grader prefers to do the SAT before the AP Calc exam? I was going to get the Chung book for SAT later on, but did not know that he had a BC Calc book as well. Off to google.

Well, the colleges that we are targeting, until a couple weeks ago, required two subject tests.  the plan was to knock off math 2, chem subject, and AP chemistry this year, and AP bc, AP Biology next year. Too late to switch gears after the abrupt cancellation of subject tests.

• Thanks 1