Menu

Calling Dr. Hive

Bensmom

Ds 17 has one toe (the one beside the big toe) that is purple, hot to the touch, and looks slightly swollen. It has been like this for “a while.”  He doesn’t know how long. Over a week he thinks. He says it doesn’t hurt and he can move it normally.  

(Editing to add that he has no recollection of injuring it in any way. )

Any thoughts on what could cause this?  Should I be concerned?  It can’t be broken can it?

Edited by Bensmom

1. Look at images of Covid toe.

2. Ingrown toe nails usually hurt but maybe check for that. If the nail is imbedded in the skin, you might try soaking in hot water/Epsom salts, then gently lift the toenail edges slightly to loosen then from the skin. 

3. Yes, a broken toe is possible, but the heat makes me thing Covid toe or infection is more likely.

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

could be cellulitiis but that should hurt. But...anything that causes a toe to turn purple, hot, and swell should cause pain. So lack of pain isn't something to go by. 

Hot makes me think infection. Cellulitis can be pretty serious. 

Cellulitis is absolutely possible. It can get bad really quick and can be started by the smallest thing. I used to get it when I trimmed my rose bushes and would inevitably get a small thorn prick. I have had it from a bee sting. I know a healthy 20ish year old person who ended up hospitalized due to a cat scratch and cellulitis. It doesn't need to be a big gooey wound to get it started.

If he has had anything, even a hangnail on the toe, he needs to be seen (in person or via telehealth) ASAP. If he gets red streaks traveling up the food/leg, he needs to go to the ER. 

• Like 1