Menu

Bible survey for 8th & 9th graders?

Can anyone suggest a Bible survey course for 8th & 9th graders?  Looking to make sure that my crew has a good overview, basic Biblical timeline, etc.  I feel like they know all the common Sunday School stories, and have done lots of devotions and so on, but I just want to be sure they know how it all fits together.  Looking for something structured like a class - tests and so on, not just reading through the Bible in a year.  We are mainstream Protestant and I can work around minor theological differences..  THANKS!

We did Positive Action for Christ's Route 66 curriculum which is a pretty good survey of the Bible. It's supposed to be for middle school, but we did it in 8th and 9th grade and it was just right.

You do need the teacher's manual, which you can get as a download. You can modify it to make it work best for your kids, as it's written for a group of kids like a Sunday school. Each kid should have their own workbook and you can print out tests and other worksheets from the teacher download. 

Their other high school Bible studies are pretty good too and more independent. 

https://positiveaction.org/store/group/route-66

• Like 2

Possibly the Quest series of studies for grades 7-12?
We used the Early History of Israel study one year; it covers Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

ETA
I know nothing about the G2R (Genesis to Romans) Bible Survey studies for pre-teens/teens, but it looks like you cover all of the Bible in a 2-year study, with Old Testament covered in 4 sections in year 1, and New Testament covered in 4 sections in year 2.

ETA #2
Scratch that; it looks like G2R is for grades 5-7.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Meade is good. My 9th grader is finishing up the NT books. 

The books are structured sort of like workbooks. You can either use the books and read through the entire Bible, or just read the prescribed sections of reading. There are comprehension questions only. There is a sort of quiz or review every so often but we just do that open book.  I suppose you could grade it?

https://www.amazon.com/Most-Important-Thing-Youll-Study/dp/1433511827

Edited for clarity and correction.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I like the Starr Meade one, but also Hendriksen’s

Survey of the Bible: A Treasury of Information.

Thanks for this!  This looks like a great reference just to have for general Bible study at any age. 

I bought R.C. Sproul's Dust to Glory which is a survey of the OT and NT as videos.  It has an accompanying study guide. I haven't used it yet so I can't say what it is like.  😃

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Thanks for this!  This looks like a great reference just to have for general Bible study at any age. 

I bought R.C. Sproul's Dust to Glory which is a survey of the OT and NT as videos.  It has an accompanying study guide. I haven't used it yet so I can't say what it is like.  😃

Sproul is good. Accessible systematic theology. It will stretch most 9th graders.

• Like 2