Menu

Prime rib-help!

teachermom2834

I have in my possession a 14 lb standing rib roast. It is on the menu for Christmas Eve but I'm unsure what to do with it.

Years ago I used a recipe that calls for cooking it for 45 minutes, turning off the oven, then turning it back on for 45 minutes right before you want to eat. That came out great but the recipe is short on details (like how long to let it sit in the oven between cooks) and it was many years ago and I don't remember what I did and I doubt the roast was so big.  So I'm a little nervous about that recipe. 

I have the seasoning part down. I'm just wondering how people actually go about cooking it. I've seen a few methods but nothing that makes me confident I have found the one. Rule of thumb for temp and minutes per pound? 

We are home all day and I'm not limited on time or oven space. Everyone here likes it rare so it needs to be cooked- but barely 🙂

Edited by teachermom2834

We do prime rib for Christmas every year.  Usually we do 8-10 lbs, but we are doing a 5 lb. this year for us and making a separate 5 lb. one to take meals to family the next day.

I will come back after I get the correct info, but my DH sets it out on the counter for an hour or 2 before it cooks to get it to room temp.  I believe we cook it in the oven at 325 for 20 minutes a pound, but I will double check.  3 people like it rare here so I just heat my piece in the microwave for a short bit once it is on my plate.  I like mine medium or a rare piece on the end.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mlktwins said:

We do prime rib for Christmas every year.  Usually we do 8-10 lbs, but we are doing a 5 lb. this year for us and making a separate 5 lb. one to take meals to family the next day.

I will come back after I get the correct info, but my DH sets it out on the counter for an hour or 2 before it cooks to get it to room temp.  I believe we cook it in the oven at 325 for 20 minutes a pound, but I will double check.  3 people like it rare here so I just heat my piece in the microwave for a short bit once it is on my plate.  I like mine medium or a rare piece on the end.  

Quoting myself -- LOL.  So...for medium rare, DH does the oven at 325 for 15 or 16 minutes a pound.  He uses a Thermoworks meat thermometer to check it.  He will take it out when the center is around 120 - 122 degrees and wrap it in foil to let it finish cooking while we finish prepping the rest of the food. 

That is a big roast you are having :-).  That is awesome!

I'm sorry I can't give any other super fancy advice, but this is what we do and everyone gobbles it up.

Enjoy your meal!!!

• Thanks 1

We used to watch Alton Brown so remember this:  https://altonbrown.com/recipes/holiday-standing-rib-roast/   Seemed like an odd method and never had to nerve to try it.  

We usually brown first at 450 for twenty minutes, then back it down to 325 until between rare and medium rare, take it out, wrap in foil and let it rest. 

• Thanks 1

My butcher told me this today:

Bring it to room temp for 2 hours before cooking (V important)

Cook at 425 for 30 min

Cook at 325 for approx 1 1/2hr (until the very center reaches temp of 120)

Take out and rest 30 min, no tinfoil. Rest for another 15-30+ min with tinfoil. (minimum rest time 45 min but he says the more the better)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roast Beef Perfection from Colorado Cache Cookbook

Start at 3:00pm  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place roast in oven and cook 1 hour.  Turn off oven.  Keep the oven door closed.  45 minutes before serving turn the oven to 300 degrees.  The temperatures given are for sea level cooking.  For high altitude cooking, add 25 degrees to each temperature.  I assume that the goal dinner time was 6pm

So on Christmas Eve I cook the first part before going to church, then turn it off.  When I get home from service I turn it on again and let cook the final 45 minutes to an hour.  I'm high altitude so I adjust for that.  When I make an enormous roast I add a little time though I have family members who like it just barely warmed.  Works like a charm

Good luck

Edited by Splash1
  • Thanks 1