Menu

Most recent data on incubation period?

Carrie12345

I don’t have data but our most recent case tested positive on day twelve.  Although they weren’t tested between day 3 and 12 so it’s possible it may have shown earlier.

I have a suspicion the shorter quarantine period is more based on improving compliance and catching the majority than anything.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I know I’ve heard something about shortening quarantine periods to 10 days, down from 14, but I haven’t seen the science behind it.

I remember reading that the CDC was hoping that more people would actually quarantine if they lowered it to 10 days than if it was 14 days.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have a suspicion the shorter quarantine period is more based on improving compliance and catching the majority than anything.

Right. I think that it is that from a public health perspective you are catching almost all of it because it is rare to get sick after ten days. It does happen, though, so on a personal level you aren't out of the woods after ten day.  But from an impact on public health they will catch almost all of them in the shorter time and they are hoping for increased compliance. 

I think part of the issue with information and people trusting what they are being told is that the public health perspective and the personal safety aspect are not exactly the same and this is not always explained. 

• Like 4

The CDC did look at the risk of people continuing to be infectious after day 10. I seem to recall something in the 1.sometimeg % range being discussed on Dr. Campbell's channel. The discussion essentially was weighing the higher compliance of 10 days versus continuing out to 14 days given the relatively small number of people.

I thought it interesting that this is offers as an option, but the CDC does continue to recommend 14 days as preferable.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

Thanks, all. 
I was kind of in a... what’s the word? Not a panic, but trying to think through 20 different things in a rush, last night. Dd had her first positive patient yesterday, so I want to up some of our household precautions. I know that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to some people, but it’ll make us feel better.   Being sick for Christmas is not on my wish list!

• Like 2