Menu

Bird food question

skimomma

Our family has an annual holiday tradition of making treats for the birds (and squirrels).  When we started the tradition, we threaded cranberries onto string and looped it onto the traditional bird treat tree in the yard.  This was very pretty but it turned out the birds were not into these berries.  So we switched to other treats like shaped seed cakes using cookie cutters and pinecone peanut butter treats.  The birds liked those much more but making them was just not the same warm-fuzzy experience of sitting on the floor stringing berries with hot chocolate and a Christmas movie.  This is our only child's last Christmas before she goes to college.  With all of the disappointments from the pandemic and a great deal of anxiety from other bad luck our family has been experiencing this year, I am trying to be super mindful of making this holiday season as special for dd as I can.  She recently was lamenting how much she missed the cranberry years.  I'd like to do something more like that this year.

What can we string into garlands that birds will actually like to eat?  It will be below freezing so any precipitation would be in the form of snow.  Do birds like popcorn?  Anything other ideas?  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Birds will eat popcorn.  Unsalted air-popped is best for them.  Cranberries and popcorn strung together would make a pretty garland. 

Jays and crows like peanuts.  Some birds like oranges, stringing slices would be messy but maybe you could suspend segments from your garland.

Thanks!  I do plan to use unsalted air-popped corn and a few cranberries to make it look nicer.  Orange slices too.  Just wanted to be sure popcorn was not harmful to birds.