Menu

PSA about what people can see in clubs. Because I didn't know.

Drama Llama

Sorry to keep editing this, but I thought that if I didn't know this, maybe other people didn't know it either, so here is my PSA.

I was under the impression that this club was like the other clubs I am in, where only members can see what we post.  I wrote something that was pretty personal.  Before I did so, I checked the members list, to make sure I felt comfortable with people reading it, and decided I felt safe.

But then an online friend, who wasn't on the club list, saw what I had posted and sent me a message.  I was fine with her seeing it.  Actually, I've told her I thought she should join many times, but it made me realize that if she could see other people could see, and I meant what I wrote for a limited audience.  So, I deleted.  Which is too bad, because I'm struggling, and was really hoping for some wisdom.  @dirty ethel rackham was very helpful, but it would be nice if this was a place for that. 

I thought I'd mention that here in case other people didn't know, that the fact that this club is "open" means that anyone can see and post. 

Edited by BaseballandHockey

I am so sorry for your losses and all that lost time.  I am so sorry that there there are so many people who do selfish things in God's name ... it is profanity to me.  I wish I had words of wisdom, but I don't  But I wanted to reply to let you know that I hear you.

I struggle similarly.  My world was upended when K got sick and came out as transgender.  K really opened my eyes to suffering.  She made it much closer and more real.  Then the betrayal of many of my church acquaintances made it really hard to go to church.  Our pastor is a pretty shallow person and the parochial vicar we had through all of this is an apologist for Trump/uncompassionate conservatism.  Before the pandemic, several times, I had to leave Mass so that I wouldn't charge the altar and deck him.  That left me with no one to go to for spiritual direction.  And most of my so-called friends distanced themselves.  I am still pretty angry at God and at his so-called church.  I have become pretty cynical regarding religion.  

{{B&H}}

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Drama Llama changed the title to PSA about what people can see in clubs. Because I didn't know.

Maybe we could make this a private/closed club. What do you guys think?

It would be nice to have a safe place to discuss our questions and struggles without being open to everyone who happens to drop in. But I know we also want to be inviting and open to new people. 

B&H, I'm sorry for your loss and your struggles. This is such a hard time anyway, but with grief and loss and trauma, it's even more horrible. I am thinking of you and praying for you in this time. I don't have any pat answers, other than just hang in there as best you can. God is with you and he/she loves you and doesn't judge you for a minute, but rather is mourning along with you for the pain in your life and in this world. 

• Thanks 1

So, first of all, I didn't mean people should change for me, although I admit I'd love a place where I could ask for input that's private. 

But if other people wanted to make a change, I think that "closed" which is what the Politics club is might work.  You can see that there's a club, and joining is easy, but people outside the club can't see what people in the club post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, first of all, I didn't mean people should change for me, although I admit I'd love a place where I could ask for input that's private. 

But if other people wanted to make a change, I think that "closed" which is what the Politics club is might work.  You can see that there's a club, and joining is easy, but people outside the club can't see what people in the club post.

I like the closed option. I have shared freely before, but I wouldn't mind a small extra layer of privacy for some of my posts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, if we wanted to propose changing to closed, who would we propose it to?  @ktgrok because she "owns" the group?  

I'm not saying we should change it, just wondering how one would.

I'll pm her and see what she thinks and have her read this thread. I'm for it.

I am, obviously, a progressive Christian by Evangelical standards but conservative as far as my personal/familial choices. I don’t really care whether the group is open or closed. I would suggest, however, that it’s important for ppl. to know that there is more than one way to be a Christian. When we hide, only one narrative is seen.

• Like 1

Thanks! I don't really know how groups work, but I don't mind an extra layer of privacy for our posts, especially when people are vulnerable and asking for comfort or advice.

I welcome new people and hope we get some discussions going again, and are able to support each other.

I also agree with Sneezyone that we can offer a different narrative for people who are seeking or are burned out on religion.

(Sneezy, I'm also somewhat more conservative, but don't fit the Evangelical mold as far as theology goes. I think this is a good place for a variety of beliefs.)

Glad you're all here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

I am, obviously, a progressive Christian by Evangelical standards but conservative as far as my personal/familial choices. I don’t really care whether the group is open or closed. I would suggest, however, that it’s important for ppl. to know that there is more than one way to be a Christian. When we hide, only one narrative is seen.

I think you have a good point.   Maybe the issue was that this wasn't the place for my post, not that we should close. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, kand said:

I was also thinking this should be closed and haven’t posted here yet because it’s not, but Sneezy makes a good point. Maybe it would be better to keep it open but not have this be the place for more private posts. 

I would love it if there was a private place though.  Can there be both? 

• Like 1

Hello, I'm part of this group, but I think I'm not online consistently enough to see when things are being posted here.  I would love to participate when I can!   I agree that public vs private would bring a different type of conversation.  

(ETA: grammar correction 🙂)

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...