Menu

About This Club

Encouragement, resource sharing, discussion - a place for those who don't quite fit into the normal Christian box. (Icon Photo used with permission - by Rod Long on Unsplash)
  1. What's new in this club
  2. Not a YouTube channel, but since coronavirus started, I've been watching House for All Sinners and All Saints on Facebook Live/ Zoom. It's the church that Nadia Bolz-Weber started in Denver, but she left it to pursue more writing and public speaking. It's neat putting faces to some of the names from her books.
  3. Okay, I deactivated FB and feel better. How are you?
  4. I'm (still) thinking about how to make new prayer beads... any favorite verses you'd care to share for setting one's intentions for the day? My church is online-only for the foreseeable future & I'm considering deactivating my FB account except to go there on Sundays.
  5. I've been watching some Bruxy Cavey videos (meetinghouse.com). They're Anabaptist (Brethren in Christ), an interesting perspective.
  6. I'll try to watch it too, and we can discuss it!
  7. ooh - thank you! will watch while cleaning or doing laundry later!
  8. This is the 2nd part of the other video you liked so much. I've only watched the first few minutes, but it looks pretty good. Let me know if you watch it, and what you think of it.
  9. I remember hearing I think it was Richard Rohn say that if you are asking what YOU can do to be "saved" you are missing the point of Christianity entirely. It's not about YOU doing anything. Jesus handled that already. You should be looking to find what you can do for OTHERS. And that is what I love about my Episcopal church - so much about serving the community.
  10. Yeah, it really made an impression on me. Today's church seems to often be asking "How can I feel Jesus, how can I get the gifts of the Spirit, how can I feel peaceful, how can I.... etc. etc. etc." (And it's so easy to get caught up in that!) Bonhoeffer (at least up to where I've read so far!) doesn't seem to ask those questions. He simply goes out and serves.
  11. Yes to this. This is part of the reason I love the church we're at. I was very comfortable in my Lutheran church when I was growing up, but it was very insular. In hind site, it seems kind of ridiculous that it wasn't an outward-loving church. I can't imagine anything more important than that now. I remember when my kids were all home and going to youth groups at various churches, and thinking that the emphasis always seemed to be about them. How can they feel Jesus, how can they feel comforted. It just felt...uncomfortable. I'm reading the book Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Pro
  12. Interesting... I'll have to give this some thought. I don't think I can see this happening with my ds. (I would otherwise say that I for sure don't see it happening, but I've said that before and have definitely been wrong.) Something to think about...
  13. RE your son - sometimes Orthodoxy isn't a great place for some young men who don't have many moderating influences in their lives. I've been Orthodox for 15 years and I've watched the cycle happen many times over. A young guy shows up at church and increasingly becomes militant. He becomes influenced by the hardliners in the Church. Often the hardliners are narcissists who don't care what kind havoc they cause in others' lives. They don't think twice about destroying relationships because they're creating a "pure" discipline. And when everything falls apart, they go on to their next protege. T
  14. AFAIK, I'm the only person on either side of my family who wound up with a non-religious (secular Christian) upbringing. My parents both consider themselves Christians, but they divorced when I was just reaching the age to start religious instruction and... I probably hadn't been into a church a dozen times before I finished high school. By the time I learned more about traditional Christian teachings (including by attending Mass with my now-DH when I was in my late teens and early 20s), it just didn't take. Didn't ring true. But I'm a curious person & like to learn more about what various
  15. My background isn't Roman Catholic, but my dh's is. For all of its odd stuff, my dh had a pretty good experience growing up in that tradition. I was blown away by the emphasis the Catholic church put on helping the poor. I remember the first time my dh told me (before we were married) that he sometimes couldn't sleep at night because he was so worried about the poor and the homeless, I thought he was joking! But that was his Catholic church background. It gave him a real love for the poor, and he continues to act on it to this day. That was a type of love in action that I wasn't familiar
  16. Ditto to all of that! I was shocked when I learned that a whole segment of Christians totally ignored some scientific theories without reason. I, too, grew up in a church that had no problem embracing science. I figure science is simply the study of the world around us, and the more we dig into it, the closer we'll get to finding God in the end. God is behind science, too.
  17. Yes to this. This is exactly how I feel. The church I attend now/the beliefs I follow I believe more closely align with the early Christians and are very Christ-centered. Many in the evangelical church (including my relatives) might call me a heretic, and definitely call my pastor that, without really trying to understand it at all. (I think they'd agree with a lot more than they realized if they gave it time!) And I totally agree about trying not to bad-mouth evangelicals. Many of my dearest friends are evangelicals. I listened to a sermon recently about how the important thing is that
  18. One of the problems in the EO Church in America now is creeping fundamentalism. I used to belong to the EO FB homeschooling group and evolution and young earth stuff was discussed there. Some people claimed that there was only one Orthodox position on that issue. Fear of Halloween is another marker. There is more influence from hardliner "celebrity" priests who push headship crap and female submission, etc. I see young women come in to the Church and watch some of them fall prey to all of that nonsense because they think it's *Orthodox*TM. I know it will chew some of them up and sp
  19. J-Rap my first real experience with fundamentalism was homeschooling as well. I had no idea that people actually believed in a young earth, well, other than that weird group on the college campus that would come yell at people and call them sinners a few times a week. I knew they were literalists because I had fun confusing one by pointing out the discrepancy in the order of events in the different creation stories. After a moment of sputtering he yelled, "that's not a contradiction - it's a paradox". Um, whatever, dude. But real people? No idea until I hit homeschooling. It just wasn't
  20. I've enjoyed reading your beautiful stories. I grew up in a sweet, loving, Christian home. I was part of an evangelical Lutheran church, but in those days, evangelical meant something different! It was a church full of simple, loving, authentic people, most of whom also drank alcohol at least on occasion and danced. 🙂 My own parents had cocktail hour and yet loved the Lord at the same time! My faith didn't involve rules, only loving Jesus. (As a result I probably lived a more wild lifestyle than I should have, but I don't have too many regrets.) It wasn't until college that I
  21. My journey was convoluted....no one will doubt my ADHD by the end, lol. Baptized in the Episcopal church. Both parents raised Episcopal at least nominally. Dad's mom was originally Catholic, his Dad Lutheran, so they compromised on Episcopal. Not sure about my mom's parents.Anyway, we went to church some, and I went to the church preschool, but that faded out by elementary school. My mom got very offended at my sister's baptism - the priest made a comment along the lines of "this little girl might have had parents with more money, but she couldn't ask for ones with more love" or something
  22. That day....ugh. I SOBBED when I realized who won. And most of those tears were for my daughter. I couldn't figure out how on earth I'd wake up the next day and tell her what had happened. And yes....it had repercussions on my faith. It was VERY hard to go to church after that (still at the Catholic parish at the time) knowing at least half, possibly much more, voted for that man. Worse, I knew that at every service we would pray for our leaders. I wasn't sure I could pray for him. I skipped a few weeks, I think. Ugh. As for the Episcopal church, I know that the RC church doesn't co
  23. I should update that All Saints Sunday was celebrated and was wonderful, although not exactly the same. So I just had to be patient 🙂
  24. I was not raised in a Christian home and really had only the vaguest knowledge of Christianity. I was basically full on drugs, sex, rock and roll. I found Christ in my late teens through some amazing people. I really have very little background with church. This actually the first church I am a member of. I am always surprised at how often people’s answer to questions is basically just tradition. I am also bothered in general with how much time and energy people spend arguing over non- salvation matters. Can we please just love on people!