Menu

Public service announcement from an author about exchanging titles on Audible

Terabith

A note about Audible.

Recently Audible has been actively promoting “exchanging” titles. Treating it as a library rather than a book store. The issue is, they literally take every exchange and treat it as a RETURN for authors.

That means authors are now taking HUGE hits on that platform. Every exchange takes a sale out of an author’s pocket. We don’t see one penny if it is exchanged.

Audible keeps their membership fees regardless, but authors see sales yanked from our accounts.

And WE are the ones who pay thousands for producing each these titles out of our own pockets, not Audible.

I felt it was important to let readers/listeners know about this Amazon/Audible policy of "exchanging" titles and how it hurts authors.

We don't blame listeners, most have no idea this is the way it works. Audible actively promotes it without explaining the damage it does.

We blame Audible for taking our product and giving it away for free without our consent. We are the ones who pay to produce these books, not them.

So, while we encourage you to return/exchange books you don’t enjoy, please do not use the exchange/return feature if you enjoyed a title. All it does is hurt the author, and if this continues, a great many may stop offering their titles on Audible entirely.
  • Sad 16

I'm sorry this is happening.

Are there other platforms that you would suggest looking at when buying audio books? Is there a platform that gives a higher % to authors? (For example, in our industry 50% is standard but some retail sites give the creator up to 70%.)

• Like 1

Thank you for that information; I didn’t know it works that way. I would never send back a book I enjoyed, though. I can only think of two books I have sent back that I really disliked. 

I wonder if it causes the authors harm when you send a book you like to another person? 

I don't understand this going around FB.  You can exchange/return an audible book for any reason which is very important to me as a user, but they limit the privilege.  I have returned a few books, almost always because I turn around and buy the kindle or paperback instead.  They also make it a multi-step process.  I access it on both my laptop and my phone, and I still do not have this alleged return now button next to each book.  I really think there is something else up with these posts or a particular author had issues with their book. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1