Menu

Best translation of Les Mis?

DD has the option of reading the "high school version" (not even sure what that is), but she and I both want to read the unabridged. It appears that there are several translations? Is that correct? This is for Tapestry of Grace Co-op class.

I am currently reading Les Mis for the first time.  I'm reading the translation by Denny and I really like it.  I did some research before I chose, and this is the one that I thought would be the best, a balance of original language and readability in English.

It is long.  1200 pages.  I've been reading it s.l.o.w.l.y since Christmas and I'm at about page 1000.  I think if I really worked at it (and put aside all of my other reading) I could have read it in a month or two.

There are quite a few chapters that are more historical and political -- that don't really advance the plot.  I'm enjoying them, but I am planning to mark those chapters in my copy, so that if my kids start getting bogged down, they can skip some of the less dramatic passages.

• Like 2

Like @Junie, my daughter and I preferred the Norman Denny  translation. Since we were reading the book simultaneously, we had two translated versions; it was my first experience seeing just how much difference a translator can make. The other translator made the book feel as though we were trudging through mud (and that was before the sewer scenes!).

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Several years ago, my FIL "gifted" us an unabridged translation of Les Mis.

I remember reading & enjoying excerpts from Les Mis in French class in high school. So, I tackled the book.

I threw it down in disgust several times because the translation didn't seem right. The book is a slog in places regardless, but this translation made it ugly even in those few places where I remembered feeling the fun word play of the French language. I thought this must be one of the bad translations.

Turns out FIL bought us the Denny translation. I don't know which one is better, but I greatly disliked Danny's version. I'd hate to try a bad one if his is one of the best. I won't try another. If I read it again, I'm reading it in French (and skipping the slow chapters!).

Edited by RootAnn
Bit=But & kniw=know
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 2:32 AM, Junie said:

I am currently reading Les Mis for the first time.  I'm reading the translation by Denny and I really like it.  I did some research before I chose, and this is the one that I thought would be the best, a balance of original language and readability in English.

It is long.  1200 pages.  I've been reading it s.l.o.w.l.y since Christmas and I'm at about page 1000.  I think if I really worked at it (and put aside all of my other reading) I could have read it in a month or two.

There are quite a few chapters that are more historical and political -- that don't really advance the plot.  I'm enjoying them, but I am planning to mark those chapters in my copy, so that if my kids start getting bogged down, they can skip some of the less dramatic passages.

I also like translation by Denny. It seems to me quite accurate. While I may be wrong, I translated using Google Translate. If I need to translate something exactly, I use this resource https://thewordpoint.com/services/translation-service/personal-contentThis makes it possible to obtain an accurate result in accordance with the original. 

Edited by Raymond876
  • Like 1