Menu

Calling all costume crafters - help needed!

alisoncooks

DD & I are making a Bakugou costume (My Hero Academia). We've got everything covered (at least idea-wise) but one piece of the outfit. 

How would you make the neck thing? (SEE PHOTO)

I'm looking for out-of-the-box ideas. Super-cheap, repurposed items appreciated. (For example, we used a cheese ball container to make the grenade gauntlets...)

IMG_6906.thumb.PNG.8e8c4df82cb26123c52e2e9696aa3ed1.PNG

13 minutes ago, Iron Jenny Flint said:

I asked my DD, who is our family costume and craft go to person.  She recommended using the inside of a cereal box or thin cardboard box. She said it would make it easier to bend to the shape you would like and paint it with silver paint and use a hole puncher or three hole punch for the holes, or paint black circles.

That's an idea. I was thinking cardboard would be too stiff to curve around the neck...but a cereal box might work. (If only we ate cereal, haha. Maybe it's time to buy some Lucky Charms!) 😛

And I've used duct tape for the "metal"/gray components on the gauntlets, so I might could wrap the neck thing with that for the same look... hmmm....

• Like 1

If you want to go the cardboard route, rather than taping or painting cereal boxes, purchase a sheet of silver-colored poster board. 

Personally, however, I think I'd go the sewing route.  If I had grey fabric on hand, I'd use that.  Otherwise, I'd buy a few squares grey craft felt and one black, then sew a horseshoe shaped pillow and stuff it.   I have a pool noodle in the garage, so I might try that as stuffing, otherwise I'd use rags or the stuffing from an old pillow.

Yep, etsy has several pattern-sellers. I'm not sure I want to go the EVA foam route (can get fairly cost-prohibitive when needing a lot...plus whether or not special glue and heat-sealing is required). But I may buy a pattern -- a different seller has a neck piece and knee guard pattern combo that we like.