Menu

Parenting Stressed Homeschooling

happybeachbum

It's unfair to the crisis schoolers to expect them to homeschool in the way that homeschoolers do - they don't have the control and agency in the system to make adjustments. They didn't choose to homeschool. They did not choose a curriculum suited their strength and needs. They don't have the desire to make a long term plan because their long term plan is to return to their schools... and that's reasonable. School at home is expected of them by the virtual schooling agencies. (As evidenced by the many long schedules for 2nd graders shared, etc.) 

• Like 15

The media need to stop calling it homeschooling.

I do homeschool ds11 and have homeschooled ds13 and I still found it really hard when ds13 was doing school at home.  

When you are homeschooling you can adjust round things like work or bad weeks.  The schools don't allow for this so much.  One teacher set work with a due date of midnight the same day randomly,one wanted zoom meetings at times that didn't work with the committments ds11 and I had.  Just because he usually has class that time doesn't mean we are free that time.

When I homeschool I have a plan and a predictable rhythm which both my kids need not random stuff chucked at us.  It was also really hard to find the work as their wasn't a master list.

All this to say I sympathise with the parents BUT THEY ARE NOT HOMESCHOOLING.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Danae said:

That article is from July and is about the initial round of suddenly crisis schooling.

But the second round of crisis schooling reality has kicked in.

My FB page was deluged by new members in July. There are six of us on the admin team and we were swamped, mostly with those who wanted help with their crisis schooling. We couldn't help them because of the constraints their children's schools put on them. Some left in a huff when we said we were sorry but we couldn't help, but it is what it is. Many of those who stayed want to know how to make sure their children will be able to go back to public school next year; we tell them we can't help them with that, either, because the purpose of the group is to help them have the best, most rewarding homeschooling experience possible (and we tell them that if they do that, their dc will be prepared for whatever happens next year, but the parents don't always believe us). 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Ellie said:

But the second round of crisis schooling reality has kicked in.

My FB page was deluged by new members in July. There are six of us on the admin team and we were swamped, mostly with those who wanted help with their crisis schooling. We couldn't help them because of the constraints their children's schools put on them. Some left in a huff when we said we were sorry but we couldn't help, but it is what it is. Many of those who stayed want to know how to make sure their children will be able to go back to public school next year; we tell them we can't help them with that, either, because the purpose of the group is to help them have the best, most rewarding homeschooling experience possible (and we tell them that if they do that, their dc will be prepared for whatever happens next year, but the parents don't always believe us). 

I think in some cases the schools are giving misinformation which makes them nervous about believing you.  Things like "you will have to repeat the year" etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

It's unfair to the crisis schoolers to expect them to homeschool in the way that homeschoolers do - they don't have the control and agency in the system to make adjustments. They didn't choose to homeschool. They did not choose a curriculum suited their strength and needs. They don't have the desire to make a long term plan because their long term plan is to return to their schools... and that's reasonable. School at home is expected of them by the virtual schooling agencies. (As evidenced by the many long schedules for 2nd graders shared, etc.) 

Just goes to show that public school officials don't realize how different the learning environment at home is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, happybeachbum said:

I've heard many parents started doing just that.  

It makes sense, right? My point to my friend was that she could spend an hour homeschooling or five hours facilitating zoom classes.  Apparently she prefers the five hour option.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, EKS said:

It makes sense, right? My point to my friend was that she could spend an hour homeschooling or five hours facilitating zoom classes.  Apparently she prefers the five hour option.

I've experienced the same thing.  My friend is beating her head against the wall dealing with all the problems with the online school stuff and spending so much time on it.  She admits that homeschooling would take less time and be more educational than what her daughter is doing now, but says that her daughter will only cooperate when she's accountable to the school.  

14 hours ago, Kassia said:

I've experienced the same thing.  My friend is beating her head against the wall dealing with all the problems with the online school stuff and spending so much time on it.  She admits that homeschooling would take less time and be more educational than what her daughter is doing now, but says that her daughter will only cooperate when she's accountable to the school.  

That right there would be a good reason to homeschool.

• Like 4