Menu

Is there such a thing as this? (Email marketing algorithms)

Ginevra

Here’s what annoys me:

Every morning and every night, I go through emails and direct, star or delete everything. I try to keep unreads under around 30, so I try to get to zero unreads at least in the morning and at night. 

But I swear on my homemade bread that, when I delete certain emails directly, the company will send more emails that day. Shutterfly always seems to do this. I have noticed it with LL Bean and Audible. 

Is there some sort of algorithm that says, “if the user deletes the email without reading, send another offer”? I try to keep my email as free as possible from advertising I don’t need, but the companies still on my list, I do actually want to get their offers periodically, because periodically, I am going to take advantage of it. Especially as we move towards Christmas. 

But if my morning-delete habit is just ensuring that I will again have to delete another offer the same day, I might start saving it for evening. 

I don't know, but you could see what happens if you click through. Just click the link (assuming it's one you might click occasionally when the offer is interesting) and see if that changes anything.

I haven't noticed that happening, but I use gmail which puts all that type of mail into a "promotions" inbox, which I gland through every few days to see if something is interesting; everything else gets bulk deleted. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quill said:

Here’s what annoys me:

Every morning and every night, I go through emails and direct, star or delete everything. I try to keep unreads under around 30, so I try to get to zero unreads at least in the morning and at night. 

But I swear on my homemade bread that, when I delete certain emails directly, the company will send more emails that day. Shutterfly always seems to do this. I have noticed it with LL Bean and Audible. 

Is there some sort of algorithm that says, “if the user deletes the email without reading, send another offer”? I try to keep my email as free as possible from advertising I don’t need, but the companies still on my list, I do actually want to get their offers periodically, because periodically, I am going to take advantage of it. Especially as we move towards Christmas. 

But if my morning-delete habit is just ensuring that I will again have to delete another offer the same day, I might start saving it for evening. 

Audible sends at least one email, often two, everyday. And I don't delete their emails right away.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, marbel said:

I don't know, but you could see what happens if you click through. Just click the link (assuming it's one you might click occasionally when the offer is interesting) and see if that changes anything.

I haven't noticed that happening, but I use gmail which puts all that type of mail into a "promotions" inbox, which I gland through every few days to see if something is interesting; everything else gets bulk deleted. 

I need to follow through on the bulk deletion. That's the step I've been missing

• Like 1

I know that I can trigger an action on my mail service that if someone hasn't opened my email in X days, to send another email. And I know my email service can track how many times you've opened the email and if you click on anything. I don't have tracking for "deleted" but I don't have a high-ticket service so that may be an option to others. So, I wouldn't be surprised if someone could set it up that way. 

From personal experience: I have 11,073 unread emails right now and they keep sending me things (sometimes multiple from same company daily) even though I'm not deleting, lol.

• Thanks 1

I otoh cancelled Audible subscription some time back, and get no emails from them now. I might be interested in getting it again around Xmas. I wonder if I’ll get some offer then.   

Some other businesses send numerous emails, but I don’t think my actions taken (delete, ignore, open) influence it.  

• Like 1

If it's a legit company - I will unsubscribe.   legally, they are required to give an unsubscribe option.  If it's in  my junk box (there are ones I want that go there) - I do have to move it to my inbox first.

Generally - they don't ask "what's your email" because they already have it.  If it's someplace I really want to receive email from, but I'm getting too many - I change the settings so they will send fewer.

spoofs - I usually report.

junk - if I can block the domain - I do.

Those things have kept my junk pile pretty darn manageable.  Every once in a while I'll get a pile on, and I wonder what's up.  It's usually from the same spam company using multiple addresses for lots of junk.