Menu

Michigan and Indiana- eastern equine encephalitis

Ausmumof3

3 minutes ago, ***** said:

Interesting, how did you hear about it? You are quite a ways from there I believe!

As if Michiganders haven't had enough to worry about this summer: high water, covid...!

Thanks, I will pass this info on!

Lol yeah other side of the world.  I think it was one of the health people I follow for covid or something though I can’t remember now.  We do get a lot of Us news here.  I probably here more US political news than Australian unfortunately.  I’d really like to not!

• Like 2

Last I heard, it’s been found in 10 counties in Michigan. Probably seeing it in horses. 😞 They are going to spray those areas with something. One or two good frosts will take care of those mosquitoes.

A vaccine does exist but it’s only available for the scientists who study it.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Last I heard, it’s been found in 10 counties in Michigan. Probably seeing it in horses. 😞 They are going to spray those areas with something. One or two good frosts will take care of those mosquitoes.

A vaccine does exist but it’s only available for the scientists who study it.

I totally understand spraying the mosquitoes but I always worry about the impacts further up the food chain 😞. Hopefully they are very specific with their spraying locations.

• Like 3

It was interesting that I saw this post right after leaving my mom’s house.  She walked to the door with us and stopped me to ask if I had heard about EEE.  I said no and she replied that I really should look up all the stories and I declined-one can only worry about so much as once.  We live in one of the affected counties in Michigan and my boys are still camping this weekend in a state park lovingly known to them as Camp Mosquito.  So far, there are no human cases identified in Michigan.   EEE was a mention last year as well - I assume they sprayed again this year like the article mentioned, but it really hasn’t been a big news story around here.  Mosquitoes carry all sorts of nasty things all the time and we take precautions like wearing long pants and long sleeves if out in the evenings and repellent with Deet when out in bad areas.  I am pretty all natural in most areas of life, but I do buy the strong stuff for camp outs since mosquitoes 🦟 ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ my oldest son.  As for the spraying the news article said they are spraying based on number of cases and it sounds pretty safe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Lol yeah other side of the world.  I think it was one of the health people I follow for covid or something though I can’t remember now.  We do get a lot of Us news here.  I probably here more US political news than Australian unfortunately.  I’d really like to not!

Same.

- American

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

It was interesting that I saw this post right after leaving my mom’s house.  She walked to the door with us and stopped me to ask if I had heard about EEE.  I said no and she replied that I really should look up all the stories and I declined-one can only worry about so much as once.  We live in one of the affected counties in Michigan and my boys are still camping this weekend in a state park lovingly known to them as Camp Mosquito.  So far, there are no human cases identified in Michigan.   EEE was a mention last year as well - I assume they sprayed again this year like the article mentioned, but it really hasn’t been a big news story around here.  Mosquitoes carry all sorts of nasty things all the time and we take precautions like wearing long pants and long sleeves if out in the evenings and repellent with Deet when out in bad areas.  I am pretty all natural in most areas of life, but I do buy the strong stuff for camp outs since mosquitoes 🦟 ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ my oldest son.  As for the spraying the news article said they are spraying based on number of cases and it sounds pretty safe.

Yeah I think just being aware and not letting yourself get eaten alive is probably a good compromise.

• Ausmumof3 changed the title to Michigan and Indiana- eastern equine encephalitis
10 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I read about it a few days ago but couldn't post because I am still on vacation and internet is iffy almost all the time.

It is also in Indiana so Ausmom,could you change the title to reflrct that.  And if you do get it. 33% fatality 

Done thanks 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 1:09 AM, BeachGal said:

Last I heard, it’s been found in 10 counties in Michigan. Probably seeing it in horses. 😞 

On 9/19/2020 at 9:38 AM, Mom2mthj said:

So far, there are no human cases identified in Michigan.   

22 cases in horses and one suspected / probable human case so far this year. 😞 

Edited by MercyA
  • Sad 2