Menu

Scott Peterson’s death sentence overturned

Scarlett

Interesting. Found this: 

"The court found that potential jurors were dismissed erroneously, in part because they expressed general objections to the death penalty on a questionnaire....The death sentence must be reversed, and the People given another opportunity to seek that penalty before a properly selected jury if they so choose."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/us/scott-peterson-death-sentence-overturned/index.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdsuomi said:

CA doesn't actually mete out the death sentence for anyone who receives it anyway. (I'm opposed to the death penalty so have no problem with this ruling.)

However, what Mercy quoted makes me wonder. I've always been told that if a trial can go death penalty, they ask all the jurors if they're opposed to it and if so kick them off. That's because they feel they would never vote for that penalty so wouldn't be unbiased. Is that not true?

That is what I thought too.  So I don't really understand what just happened.  I don't really 'want' him to get the death penalty.....but I have never forgotten that case.  I watched it all unfold on court tv. I believe is a total psychopath.

20 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

That is what I thought too.  So I don't really understand what just happened.  I don't really 'want' him to get the death penalty.....but I have never forgotten that case.  I watched it all unfold on court tv. I believe is a total psychopath.

My bil is a prosecutor in the courthouse where the trial was held. We went to visit him and it was insane around there. We had lunch nearby and while we were there Peterson’s parents and lawyer came in to eat. It was so weird because I, too, had been watching it on tv and suddenly there they were. 

As far as the OP, I find it strange too because I would be honest about never being able to be on a jury and vote for the death penalty and I’ve always assumed that would mean I would get booted. Weird.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdsuomi said:

We all, in CA at least, watch it unfold on TV. Honestly, I don't see how he could have gotten an impartial jury trial anywhere in this state. The big part of it, at least here where it was already understood that he was guilty even before the trial, was would he be charged for one count of murder or two.

True.  We were still in CA at the time.

54 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I thought that he was guilty but I didn’t think that they really proved it.

OTOH, why did it take so many years to take action on this?  It’s so weird.

I watched every minute of it and I thought they proved it quite well.