Menu

If Dr Hive Vet--I suspect my dog has ear mites, should I try to treat it OTC or wait till appt in 8 days?

Tap

This dog it new to our family and I haven't had a dog in over 20 years.  She was itching her ear the other day and I looked in side. It has some black areas in the crevices and the tissue of one ear was bright red, while the other was soft pink. Both have black spots. 

I already have a new patient appt with a vet on the 27th. Should I try to treat the ears just in case, or wait a week to make sure that is what it is? I hate to think she would be uncomfortable that long.  If I do treat it otc....any recommendations?

The black spots could be normal ear gunk. Some dogs are prone to it. The bright red ear could be infected. Does that ear smell funky (yeasty)? I'd either try to get an earlier appointment--might be possible since you suspect a medical issue--or I'd try to get my hands on some Zymox and start treating both ears.

• Like 1

I thought my cat had ear mites years ago, and it turned out they were just dirty. I got some cotton pads and cleaned out her ears with plain water. If you do that for your dog, she might stop scratching and the ear may go back to its normal color. I wouldn't stick q tips or anything in her ear though. With my cat, I could get right to the entrance to the ear canal with the cotton pads, and it worked great. 

• Like 1

I would call to ask if appointment could be sooner — and also if they have suggestions for what to do, clean ears with, etc. 

I would be concerned at this time of year also about foxtails or that sort of thing if she’s been in weeds (which would need vet as soon as possible), or dog ear fungus like problems. 

And I would also look online or in a book for diy natural ear cleaning recipes such as diluted apple cider vinegar.

I have a couple of dog/cat references for pet health and also even a Merck Vet manual .

I use Richard Pitcairn’s Natural Care for Dogs and Cat or some such title particularly frequently if looking for something like home ear remedy.  

My current dog tends to have ear troubles so I have bottles of both OTC and prescription ear stuff for him. He has never actually had mite troubles however. 

You might also ask former owner about any past known ear trouble tendencies as it could be same thing again. 

• Like 1

I mostly clean my dog s ears by putting in the cleaner liquid in both ears, then massaging both well from from outside,  then getting out of way while he shakes the stuff out. Then he avoids  me for a few hours till I am forgiven. 

It's probably an ear infection with yeast or a bacteria rather than mites.  Ear mites are more of a cat issue than a dog issue.  Yeast infections are common in dogs, especially this time of year when everything is hot and humid. 

I'd call to see if the dog can be seen sooner rather than later. Like any infection, the longer it is allowed to go, the longer it will take to clear it up. 

There really aren't any great otc yeast treatments for ears. You can try cleaning the ears daily with an ear cleaner like EpiOtic, but that probably won't be enough to address the infection.  

Just now, MissLemon said:

It's probably an ear infection with yeast or a bacteria rather than mites.  Ear mites are more of a cat issue than a dog issue.  Yeast infections are common in dogs, especially this time of year when everything is hot and humid. 

I'd call to see if the dog can be seen sooner rather than later. Like any infection, the longer it is allowed to go, the longer it will take to clear it up. 

There really aren't any great otc yeast treatments for ears. You can try cleaning the ears daily with an ear cleaner like EpiOtic, but that probably won't be enough to address the infection.  

Fungal infection makes sense. The original owners don't have A/C and they had a kid pool for her to play in.  Hopefully we can get her in earlier. I'll call and see what they can do. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tap said:

Fungal infection makes sense. The original owners don't have A/C and they had a kid pool for her to play in.  Hopefully we can get her in earlier. I'll call and see what they can do. 

Boom, there's your answer.  Dog ears are the perfect little incubator for yeast infections!

On 8/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, MissLemon said:

I disagree about there not being any great OTC yeast treatments!  My dog's ear yeast infections never go away completely with the meds from the doctor, but using this witch hazel/gentian violet product from Amazon a few days in a row gets rid of an infection and at a much lower cost.  Once the infection is controlled, we try to remember to use the product once a month for maintenance.  As a plus, it doesn't irritate her ears like some other products do.  The down side is that the gentian violet stains, so you have to apply it outside (and don't wear white pants or shoes when you do it).  I did it inside once and ended up having to use Comet to scrub purple spots from the kitchen floor and counters after the dog shook her head.  Never again!  I keep it in the garage now, so I don't forget.  One bottle lasts about a year for us.  

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, klmama said:

I disagree about there not being any great OTC yeast treatments!  My dog's ear yeast infections never go away completely with the meds from the doctor, but using this witch hazel/gentian violet product from Amazon a few days in a row gets rid of an infection and at a much lower cost.  Once the infection is controlled, we try to remember to use the product once a month for maintenance.  As a plus, it doesn't irritate her ears like some other products do.  The down side is that the gentian violet stains, so you have to apply it outside (and don't wear white pants or shoes when you do it).  I did it inside once and ended up having to use Comet to scrub purple spots from the kitchen floor and counters after the dog shook her head.  Never again!  I keep it in the garage now, so I don't forget.  One bottle lasts about a year for us.  

Just FYI, that remedy has been around for many decades. First I remember, it was used by Cocker Spaniel breeders back in the 1970's and was called Blue Power. You can find recipes for it by searching "Blue Power ear cleaner for dogs" or "gentian violet ear treatment for dogs" and make your own. Many of the sites that list recipes for it are shelters and rescues. They know it works and that it's inexpensive. I prefer Zymox, because it works equally well IME and is less messy.

@Pawz4me Have you ever encountered Thornit Powder (from the UK)?

The dog-people I've known from Britain, Europe, and even some Americans have long raved about Thornit Powder for curing intractable ear mites, but I've never had the need to use it.

Must be ordered from the UK (as far as I'm aware). Here in the US the standard seems to be Zymox, just curious if you've had experience with Thornit Powder? 

http://www.thornitearpowder.com/

Bill

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

@Pawz4me Have you ever encountered Thornit Powder (from the UK)?

The dog-people I've known from Britain, Europe, and even some Americans have long raved about Thornit Powder for curing intractable ear mites, but I've never had the need to use it.

Must be ordered from the UK (as far as I'm aware). Here in the US the standard seems to be Zymox, just curious if you've had experience with Thornit Powder? 

http://www.thornitearpowder.com/

Bill

I don't have any direct experience with it. I've heard it mentioned frequently on message boards by folks in the UK, though.

Just now, Pawz4me said:

I don't have any direct experience with it. I've heard it mentioned frequently on message boards by folks in the UK, though.

So we're in basically the same boat. How would you characterize the anecdotes you've read online about Thornit Powers efficacy in treating ear-mites?

I've read such positive reports that it has always been an option I've kept in mind if I needed it. Of course shipping from the UK is a downside.

Bill

4 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

So we're in basically the same boat. How would you characterize the anecdotes you've read online about Thornit Powers efficacy in treating ear-mites?

I've read such positive reports that it has always been an option I've kept in mind if I needed it. Of course shipping from the UK is a downside.

Bill

I'm dredging my memory banks and not coming up with anything I can remember about its use for ear mites. So many of the flea/tick preventatives work for ear mites that they're not something that gets talked about a lot nowadays.

• Like 1