Menu

Shhhh! Don't wake the baby (sea otter) !

Laurie

I just want to sit around and watch Joey the baby sea otter all day.  (Right now as I'm typing he's sleeping but earlier today he was in a tub floating on his back and later on someone was combing him.)

He's an orphan being cared for at the Marine Mammal Rescue Centre in Canada. 

If you want to see what's happening in his "nursery" you can go to you tube and type "Joey sea otter" .   (I'm not sure if I should put in a direct link since it's live streaming?)

Correction:  I think he's at the Vancouver Aquarium now.

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 6

Somebody woke him up!  It wasn't me!  

Now he's playing with an ice cube.

(That blue fan next to his bed is supposed to keep cool air on him like an ocean breeze.    I remember that thing from when the water damage people came to our house...it's called a Typhoon.  I hope they've got it on the lowest setting for the baby!)

• Haha 1

What a busy little otter.  He was in his bed, I started to type, and now he's floating in his tub again.

Earlier I went away for awhile and when I came back to see him he was floating on his back while someone held a bottle for him.

Then a little later I saw one lady grooming him again while another lady was skimming poop out of the tub.  (I'm quite sure that skimming would be my job at the aquarium because I'm talented...everyone in my house calls on me when the cat has missed the litter box.)

Down in front!  A volunteer is blocking my view!  Good.  She moved.

• Like 2

OH.MY.GOODNESS!!! Did you see the one of him drinking the bottle?!!❤️ He was holding it! And then I watched the one where he didn’t like the water (yet) and was crying!! So, so sweet. **Swoon**

I love otters and was actually just watching a sweet video last night of an otter mom teaching her baby how to swim. She was shoving him in and swimming with him in her mouth. Then she dragged him out by his tail. So sweet and fascinating!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

Oh, I am going to have to check this out. My favorite book ever when I was a little kid was a true story about a pet otter named Picaro. I wanted my own otter so bad!🙂

That sounds like a great story! 

I'll  take your word for it...I just looked on Amazon and the price of a new paperback is $902.81 

(I hope the book had a better ending than the movie about a pet otter called Ring of Bright Water.   Traumatizing!)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I hate you.😂  He's adobable. Now I'll never get anything done and I have so much to do that I don't really want to do.

I finally have a chance to look at the website this morning and something has happened to the live feed!   Now they're showing highlight videos...still cute...but I'll probably spend less time looking in on Joey this morning.  

Great!  The live stream is back!

A lady with an ice bucket is giving ice cubes to Joey.

It's interesting to read the "chat" from the moderators.  I just saw this explanation about the purple strip that's in the water with Joey...

"The foam strip resembles kelp, a seaweed. Sea otters use kelp as an anchor while they sleep. They wrap themselves in kelp so they don't float around, and they do the same to anchor their babies."

Edited by Laurie
adding something educational to prove I'm learning, not wasting time

Something kind of funny happened earlier today.  

The grooming table is in front of a window, and I was watching aquarium visitors as they stopped to watch.  You could tell that they were practicing social distancing and not crowding around.  Then one lady rolls up with a stroller.  She doesn't have the stroller facing the window, but she crouches down so she can watch the otter up close.  Her little one was turning in the stroller and stretching to try to see the otter, too,  but the lady didn't notice and move the stroller so that the kid could see, too.

(Ok, maybe this wasn't funny.)