Menu

Broccoli soup IP need recipe - no flour

Pen

If you have a delicious broccoli soup recipe Please share.

in addition to broccoli, I have cheese, onion, butter, maybe garlic, available...    also carrots if useful.   Water .  (Milk if necessary but would prefer to save it if not).   

Must be gluten free, so no flour to thicken

2 T butter

1 white or yellow onion, diced

4 cloves of garlic minced

1 lb. frozen broccoli florets (I use Costco organic)

1-2 c. shredded carrots (I zip a few in the food processor)

4 c. chicken stock or broth

1 c. heavy cream

1 1/4 c. sharp shredded cheddar (or colby jack or other yellow cheese). 

Use a food processor to shred your onion and carrot to make your life easier. Mince your garlic.

With the IP lid off, heat your butter on Saute until sizzling. Add onions and garlic until they soften and begin to carmelize. Turn off instant pot. Add broccoli florets and chicken. Secure IP lid, set for 4 minutes on high. Quick release, add in heavy cream and cheese. Add in salt and pepper to taste, or even a smidge of nutmeg.

Don't add extra broth or the ratios go off.  I apparently did this as I wrote a note to myself to avoid this.

• Thanks 1

Broccoli, water, salt.  Trust me.  It's so good and creamy once blended that you almost can't believe there's no cream.  I got this "recipe" from Gordon Ramsay and it's so easy and it tastes amazing when you have fresh broccoli.  Just try it.  Sprinkle a little cheese on top if you must, but it really doesn't need it.

• Thanks 2

I just use broccoli, veggie stock  (bouillon cube), onion, and potatoes. Cheese when I remember. Blend with immersion blender.

It's a favorite winter soup for us and is really easy and fast.

I use a regular pot, no idea on how to convert to IP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

2 T butter

1 white or yellow onion, diced

4 cloves of garlic minced

1 lb. frozen broccoli florets (I use Costco organic)

1-2 c. shredded carrots (I zip a few in the food processor)

4 c. chicken stock or broth

1 c. heavy cream

1 1/4 c. sharp shredded cheddar (or colby jack or other yellow cheese). 

Use a food processor to shred your onion and carrot to make your life easier. Mince your garlic.

With the IP lid off, heat your butter on Saute until sizzling. Add onions and garlic until they soften and begin to carmelize. Turn off instant pot. Add broccoli florets and chicken. Secure IP lid, set for 4 minutes on high. Quick release, add in heavy cream and cheese. Add in salt and pepper to taste, or even a smidge of nutmeg.

Don't add extra broth or the ratios go off.  I apparently did this as I wrote a note to myself to avoid this.

11 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Broccoli, water, salt.  Trust me.  It's so good and creamy once blended that you almost can't believe there's no cream.  I got this "recipe" from Gordon Ramsay and it's so easy and it tastes amazing when you have fresh broccoli.  Just try it.  Sprinkle a little cheese on top if you must, but it really doesn't need it.

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

I just use broccoli, veggie stock  (bouillon cube), onion, and potatoes. Cheese when I remember. Blend with immersion blender.

It's a favorite winter soup for us and is really easy and fast.

I use a regular pot, no idea on how to convert to IP. 

Yum!!!

I have enough broccoli to make at least 2 maybe all 3 of the above soups.  (We’ll eat some now and I’ll freeze rest as way to preserve the broccoli and to have future relatively nutritious easy food.) 

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Don’t freeze my recipe with the cream in it or it will split in the freezer! You can make the base and then add the cream and cheese after reheated for serving.

Thanks!  I’m glad I wrote what I planned to do and got to learn what not to do the easy way! 

34 minutes ago, Pen said:

Yum!!!

I have enough broccoli to make at least 2 maybe all 3 of the above soups.  (We’ll eat some now and I’ll freeze rest as way to preserve the broccoli and to have future relatively nutritious easy food.) 

I never thought of freezing it.  You'll have to let me know how it turns out.  That would be super convenient since I'm the only one in this house who eats broccoli soup.  It's in season her NOW so I may give it a shot myself.  I bought one of those freezer trays that freezes everything into a 1 cup block and now it looks like I'm trying to build an igloo in my freezer.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

For best flavor, just blanch and freeze the broccoli and make the soup later. The soup will be good if you decide to go ahead and make it, but the broccoli can go mushy in an odd way on reheating. It all depends on how picky you are about food texture. 🙂 

That's a good point in general, but I make a pureed broccoli soup so making enough for several lunches is really appealing to me right now.  I recently purchased a chest freezer and now I'm out of control. 😁

I ended up with a first batch of a mixed recipe closer to @prairiewindmomma than Gordon Ramsey, but no cream, no carrots, and like GR used flavored broccoli juices not chicken stock.  But it had a lot of onion and some garlic first sautéed in butter which I think added lots of good flavor and probably some more nutrients range. 

Cheese added at serving stage more like GR, but shredded Italian not sliced goat cheese and no walnuts. 

It came out wonderful, but there was Not enough left over to freeze .  

I’ll probably deliberately try for same thing again and blend into purée before freezing stage.   I may add carrot for yet more nutrients, but I am concerned about color when blending green and orange being unappetizing .  Maybe I’ll try raw carrot shreds as a top garnish instead. 

On 8/10/2020 at 12:54 PM, J-rap said:

I've been looking for a good broccoli soup recipe too, but don't like using BOTH heavy cream and cheese.  Can I substitute the heavy cream with skim milk and get at least a little of that creamy flavor?

I’ve never used cream. Sometimes I do add a little 2%, though. If the broccoli is very strong the milk helps soften it. I usually find just cheese is sufficient, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

I’ve never used cream. 

Girl, you have not lived. 😂😘

My mom never used cream growing up either.  Even 2% was too much fat--only skim for her.  A little bit of cream is an amazing thing.....and once you break down your carb/fat/protein ratios in your diet you may see that you need to up your fats anyway. 🙂