Menu

So...how do you find a cat...(UPDATE)

sweet2ndchance

that has disappeared in your home?

Ds was given a 3 month old kitten today. We got home, brought the cat supplies in, turned our back for 30 seconds while she explored the house and she is just gone. She's in the house somewhere, we are sure she can't have gotten out. But we just can't seem to find her anywhere. I'm sure she just needs to some time to adjust to her new surroundings but I would have at least liked to have shown her the litter box first lol.

We had two cats when I was growing up but I don't remember not being able to find them lol.

Any ideas on how to find her or should we just let her come out of her hiding spot in her own good time? 

UPDATE: WE FOUND HER! She found herself a hidey hole among the boxes in the 3rd bedroom. She's eating and drinking now and has been introduced to the litter box and the dog now. 

Now, what to name her, lol.

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 1

I'd look for her but I wouldn't freak out. She will come out eventually.

Search room to room, closing doors (where possible) and leaving them closed after you've searched each room. Look everywhere, even places you think she couldn't possibly fit. When you find her you probably should consider putting her in a particular room where she can safely hang out for at least a day or two.

I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt treats or food or food related noises will work well for a kitten that young who is scared.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

I'd look for her but I wouldn't freak out. She will come out eventually.

Search room to room, closing doors (where possible) and leaving them closed after you've searched each room. Look everywhere, even places you think she couldn't possibly fit. When you find her you probably should consider putting her in a particular room where she can safely hang out for at least a day or two.

I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt treats or food or food related noises will work well for a kitten that young who is scared.

We have an extremely open floor plan. The only thing that is close off-able is bedrooms and I really don't want to shut her in a bedroom or for the bedroom to be associated with the litterbox. The only bathroom is too small to put the litter box in. I have the litter box in the corner of the dining area that we don't use for right now. I'll probably make something like this eventually. But for right now, it's under a tall shelf in the corner that's not too busy and doesn't see a lot of foot traffic.

• Like 1

Awww! Poor baby! 😞 

We sometimes lose one of our kitties in the house. She is really fast and tiny and can dash into places we’d never think of without anyone noticing. She might get closed in a closet or kitchen cabinet more frequently than I like to admit. Thankfully she’s Super easy going and never seems to mind. But yeah, it’s scary.

Even though yours is so young, the smell of food might draw her out eventually. I guess  I would try to keep all doors and cabinets open in case you overlook her while searching each room so she doesn’t accidentally get locked in. Maybe try playing with a jingly cat toy every now again if she’s familiar with the sound. Or crumple paper, etc to pique her curiosity?

• Thanks 1

We have one who not only loves squeezing into cabinets, but somehow closes the door behind her. She absolutely panicked a piano mom who would do housework to pay for lessons while I taught her kids because she opened the door to put towels away, only to find gold eyes glowing out at her 🙂

• Haha 7

Each of our new kitties spent 2-14 days closed in our bedroom. We would have a litter box, food and water in the room too. It’s miserable to sleep with the litter box so close, but it was a short time. We would have a second litter box in the “permanent” location. Once the new cat was comfortable with us and the one room, we left the door open and keep both litter boxes until we were sure the permanent one was being used, and then removed the first. For most of my cats, they spent the entire first day under the dresser or bed. I put a plate of food near the dresser and saw a foot come out to pull the entire plates under the dresser too. Our newest kitten never hid or needed adjustment period. We were introducing him to another cat, so he had strict quarantine for two weeks before he could meet the older cat. He is so adventurous that I don’t trust him on his own in the house yet. He spends the nights with my son inside his bedroom. We got a top entry litter box and it has really lessened the tracked litter. He is 4 months old now. I need to pack up more breakables and he will soon be totally free roaming. 

Edited by Acorn
  • Like 3

I lost my cat at my grandmother’s house once. We finally found her curled into the curve of a tucked in pillow on the bed. I don’t know how she got in without disturbing the blankets.

I would shake treats, put smelly food out, and use a laser pointer near every piece of furniture. She might not come out immediately but if you’re lucky you’ll be able to hear her move when the laser interests her. 

I agree with not opening furniture legs! We have a litter right now and that’s the first place they run. Also check any fireplaces.

• Like 1

We think we have narrowed down her location to the 3rd bedroom which, unfortunately, is full of random stuff. It isn't used as a bedroom, so no bed to hide under but lots of boxes to hide in under and around sigh. I might just put the food and litter box in there and check to see if she's coming out for those.

None of our beds are accessible underneath so we can rule that out. No fire places. Both closets she could have gotten into have been double checked and closed. Dh has a reclining chair that we can't not recline (he's disabled and it's a special chair for his disability) but we'll check it over before opening it. The gears on the bottom are easily accessible and easy to see if the cat were there.

I'll update when we find her. She does have to come out eventually, right? :-S

• Like 2