Menu

Conjunctivitis - Dr Hive?

Spryte

We haven’t had a bout with this in years, I can’t remember what to do.  is there an at home remedy, or can we wait this out?

When the kids were small, we’d have seen the pedi and probably would have been prescribed drops, but is there another option?

Woke with eyelids crusted together, goopy eyes, itchy, pink.

No other symptoms (ok, some overall soreness from working physically yesterday).

I know this can be a covid symptom, too, so watching for that as well.

• Sad 1

If you have a small potato, you can heat it in the microwave to use as a warm compress.  It will hold the heat longer than a warm rag and can be a good size to fit the eye socket.  

Is it both eyes and did they start at the same time?  If so, I would wonder if it is allergy related.  Also, how much sensitivity are you having to light?

• Like 1

Not to be a fear-mongerer, but just a heads up.  Several reports have it as a new symptom of covid, though of course it could just be regular old pink eye.  

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200401/pink-eye-often-a-symptom-of-covid-19

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

If you have a small potato, you can heat it in the microwave to use as a warm compress.  It will hold the heat longer than a warm rag and can be a good size to fit the eye socket.  

Is it both eyes and did they start at the same time?  If so, I would wonder if it is allergy related.  Also, how much sensitivity are you having to light?

Not terribly sensitive to light now.  Earlier it was worse, but now it’s not bad at all.  Feels itchy and irritated, but could be worse.

One eye is worse than the other, but it’s definitely both. They have been itchy and dry at night for a few days, after removing contacts, and I was using drops at night for a few nights.

I don’t have environmental allergies, and can’t think of anything in my environment that’s changed recently.  Though I did power wash the cement floor of a pavilion yesterday, and a flagstone patio beside it.  I don’t think anything got in my eyes, though. Plus, well, I think it may have been starting a few days ago.  

Telemed visit is a good idea.  I’ll call tomorrow and see if they can squeeze me in.

3 minutes ago, matrips said:

Not to be a fear-mongerer, but just a heads up.  Several reports have it as a new symptom of covid, though of course it could just be regular old pink eye.  

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200401/pink-eye-often-a-symptom-of-covid-19

Ugh.  Yes.  I am watching for any other symptoms, and trying to stay clear of vulnerable family members.

Thanks for the heads up.

22 minutes ago, OKBud said:

Cooled chamomile dropped in the eye.

And tie their hands behind their back so everyone else doesn't get it 🙃 

Good luck!

Haha!  That will be me with my hands behind my back!  

I’m washing hands even more compulsively than the new normal today.  🤣

10 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

If you wear make up, throw your eye make up away- at least eyeliner and mascara (you can spray alcohol on eyeshadow that should salvage that.) . And if you double dip in an eye cream container- as in dip finger, put cream on one eye, redip finger put cream on other eye, I'd pitch that too. Same for foundation. Conjunctivitis is the norovirus of eyes, lol. 

Thanks!  I had forgotten this tip!

Spraying alcohol on eyeshadow?  Really?  That would be very cool because I used a brand new eye shadow yesterday, and pitching that would be painful.  Not as painful as pink eye, but still ouch. Pitching the other stuff. So glad you mentioned this.

Update: I had a telemed visit!  With urgent care.  They have called in some drops for me, at the 24 hr pharmacy.  I’m ridiculously, disproportionately happy about this.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I looked- apparently you can alcohol your eyeliner pencil and then just wipe it off with a cotton pad. 

Score!  I’m so happy about the eye make up.  I really did just buy new, and losing it would have been a disappointment.  Well, not the mascara, it’s time for that to go anyway.

Pink eye.  Adding it to the list of ridiculous medical things that have happened here since March.  Ugh!

Last time one of my kids had it she wouldn't let me put the rx drops in her eyes more than once because it burned too much. I ended up putting lavender essential oil around the eye (on the eyebrow & cheek bone) and it cleared it up. I don't know why it works but it does.