Menu

Conceptual Physics in 11th?

Is there any downside to taking "Conceptual Physics" using Hewitt's text for a bright 11th grader who hopes to go to a good 4-year college/university? She took "Honors Bio" in 9th and Chemistry in 10th.

My daughter took it in 9th grade concurrently with algebra 1 because she is so not mathy. (She loved the conceptual physics course & instructor, though!)  My sons took AP Physics in 12th with AP Calc. Are those the two choices nowadays--conceptual or AP?  Or, is there something between conceptual and AP levels for physics? 

I've tried my usual online searches to see what some top private college prep schools in CA are using for physics, but it looks like the ones I usually check are using online resources rather than a text.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much, in advance!

Gunn is using the Hewitt text. I often see this edition available at HPB. https://gunn.pausd.org/learning/science

(ETA: Monte Vista too https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1535056807/fuhsdorg/gnksax6c6wfurdcoa4jw/ScienceTextbooks.pdf)

AP Physics 1 (two textbooks) Physics, 9e; Cutnell & Johnson AP Physics textbook cover ISBN-13: 978-0470879528; ISBN10: 0470879521 John D Cutnell and Kenneth W Johnson
AP Physics 1 (two textbooks) Conceptual Physics: The High School Physics Program, Third Edition AP Physics 1 textbook cover ISBN-13: 978-0201466973; ISBN10: 0-201-46697-X Paul G Hewitt
Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, yvonne said:

Are those the two choices nowadays--conceptual or AP?

Derek Owens has regular high school physics.  

Our local (well regarded) public high school uses the Walker text, which I believe is regular physics as well though they bill it as "concepts first."

• Thanks 1

Exploring Creation with Physics by Jay Wile, published by Apologia, is algebra-based physics with lots of math problems.  FWIW, I didn't particularly like Apologia Biology or Chemistry, but I do like this one.  It's still rather dry, but IMHO it's very clear, and the lab experiments are very doable at home.  

Georgia Public Broadcasting's Physics Fundamentals (GPB's OLDER physics program that includes written assignments, quizzes, and tests) also is standard high school level. However, many of the labs are performed on the video, and the student just records and uses the data to complete the lab sheet, make graphs, etc.  That's okay sometimes, but you may want to supplement for experience with hands-on labs, keeping a standard lab manual, and writing real lab reports, at least occasionally.  We're using it this year and will supplement with the Apologia labs.

7 minutes ago, klmama said:

Exploring Creation with Physics by Jay Wile, published by Apologia, is algebra-based physics with lots of math problems.  FWIW, I didn't particularly like Apologia Biology or Chemistry, but I do like this one.  It's still rather dry, but IMHO it's very clear, and the lab experiments are very doable at home.  

Georgia Public Broadcasting's Physics Fundamentals (GPB's OLDER physics program that includes written assignments, quizzes, and tests) also is standard high school level. However, many of the labs are performed on the video, and the student just records and uses the data to complete the lab sheet, make graphs, etc.  That's okay sometimes, but you may want to supplement for experience with hands-on labs, keeping a standard lab manual, and writing real lab reports, at least occasionally.  We're using it this year and will supplement with the Apologia labs.

I'm combining the older GPB's videos with Hewitt's text for my 9th grader.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1