Menu

I am LOVING middle school!

DS just wrapped up 7th grade, and it was just so much fun.  As much as I enjoy first steps, first letters, first counting... this stage of being able to have really interesting discussions is just fantastic.  Middle school here is US grades 7-9th, then DS will be done with obligatory schooling and go off to "gymnase," equivalent to US 10-12 honors/AP track.  I'm definitely feeling the need to squeeze every drop out of the next two years, but at the same time shifting even more comfortably into a home atmosphere of learning and enjoyment of the process.  

Any other middle-school lovers out there?  

• Like 8

I like middle school too! School is more in depth and interesting (for me! 😉) and yet still carefree enough to have lots of free rime before the seriousness of high school begins.

Interestingly, my dad who was a middle school teacher/principal always said that you either love middle school or you hate it - there is no in between lol

• Like 5

I loved that age too! It was SOOOO nice to finally be able to have FUN, and not have everything be about struggling to help DS#2 with LDs move forward. Discussions -- yes! And the hilarious/quirky sense of humor that comes out in kids at that age -- oh.my.gosh my DSs were so funny at that age. (They still are -- both have a very dry, wry sense of humor, and they are very quick-witted. Love my adult sons! 😍)

The students in my co-op classes in that age 13-15 range are so fun -- excited to discuss things and share the sudden connections they make... bouncing all over the place topic-wise, with strong opinions that they plough forward with and don't yet feel like they have to keep it bottled up... quirky sense of humor... just starting the process of developing their individual personalities. Love it!

Enjoy this fun stage! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I'm loving it too, for different reasons.  DS is totally going through puberty and his brains are almost visibly leaking out his ears.  To save our sanity, we've started laughing at everything.  So our days are full of laughter....but I don't know how much learning is taking place 😄

If you're not familiar with Dry Bar Comedy on youtube, it's a really fun channel.  It's stand-up comedy, but based in Salt Lake City and so relatively clean.  Not everything is necessarily child applicable, but I haven't come across anything sufficiently risqué to care if my kids listen in.  

• Like 1

I didn't enjoy the upper grades with my oldest 3 nearly as much as I do now.  Starting with #4 (when I wasn't overwhelmed with the needs of so many little ones and our Aspie's behaviors were at least somewhat less volatile), the upper grades quickly become some of my favorites. Though, bth, I still really enjoy the snuggly reading time with little ones.  That is going to have to start switching to my grandkids, though, since my baby isn't much of a baby any more!  Love the different ages and stages for different reasons. Thinking about it, I really wouldn't trade any of them!! 

But, I think one reason our family is so close and why our relationship with our adult kids is what it is is due to all of the wonderful conversations we had while they were growing up.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I didn't enjoy the upper grades with my oldest 3 nearly as much as I do now.  Starting with #4 (when I wasn't overwhelmed with the needs of so many little ones and our Aspie's behaviors were at least somewhat less volatile), the upper grades quickly become some of my favorites. Though, bth, I still really enjoy the snuggly reading time with little ones.  That is going to have to start switching to my grandkids, though, since my baby isn't much of a baby any more!  Love the different ages and stages for different reasons. Thinking about it, I really wouldn't trade any of them!! 

But, I think one reason our family is so close and why our relationship with our adult kids is what it is is due to all of the wonderful conversations we had while they were growing up.

This is something I'm going to miss so much. Mine are still little but I have siblings much younger than myself so I may be lucky enough to have nieces and nephews to snuggle while waiting for grandkids.

• Like 1

Count me among the ranks of the middle school lovers. The adolescent years had me worried, but last year and this year have been awesome thus far.

I don't want to jinx it, but yeah. Middle school rocks.

• Like 1

I love teaching other people's middle/high school students... my own kids on the other hand... 😄 We sometimes have good discussions, which is a lovely plus side, but I agree with the "brains leaking out of ears" comment. Executive functioning has also taken a nosedive--my kid who was able to work independently in 4th/5th/6th kind of lost that ability this year. (The other kid never really had it.) They are completely different people now--"getting to know them again" has been beautiful but also bittersweet. I'm looking forward to next year, when they'll be 8th/10th.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 10:25 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

DS just wrapped up 7th grade, and it was just so much fun.  As much as I enjoy first steps, first letters, first counting... this stage of being able to have really interesting discussions is just fantastic.  Middle school here is US grades 7-9th, then DS will be done with obligatory schooling and go off to "gymnase," equivalent to US 10-12 honors/AP track.  I'm definitely feeling the need to squeeze every drop out of the next two years, but at the same time shifting even more comfortably into a home atmosphere of learning and enjoyment of the process.  

Any other middle-school lovers out there?  

Love this post! I admit I do not love teaching this age as it is a lot of mom intensity... Middle school is the heavy lifting, making sure all the foundations are in place for high school.  I adore high school, a mix of duties of accountability & inspiration! 

• Like 1