Menu

Best Resource for Teaching Pre-fixes and Suffixes

goldenecho

We've had good luck with Dynamic Literacy workbooks. They have fun activities, some can be done orally, which we like. Same activities for each prefix/suffix, so you kind of know what's coming. Samples are at their website (https://www.dynamicliteracy.com/products.html) at the bottom right. (But I always like the samples at christianbook.com best)  I haven't tried the online version yet. We just have the yellow workbook, not the TM. 

We also like the card game rummy roots, which you can play a few different ways. This, however, is not necessarily usage of the prefixes and suffixes, but more the meaning of them. For instance, one card would say "uni" and another "one" and you'd match them together.

• Like 2

We did a ton of practice informally on the whiteboard with roots + endings, prefixes, suffixes, compounds, etc.

Also, we used a lot of Mary Pecci's Super Seatwork Word Skills gentle workbook over several years. Not download, and not cheap, but it is 230 pages of a physical book and covers a ton of useful topics:

- roots & endings
(adding -s, -es, -ed, -ing, -er, -est, -en, -y, -ly, -ful, drop -e add -ing, change -y to -i add ... endings, change -f to -v add... -es, double consonant to keep short vowel add ending)
- prefixes
- suffixes
- compound words
- syllables
- possessive
- contractions
- dictionary skills

P.S. I recently re-ordered this (like, 2 months ago), just to make sure I had a copy to give to a friend, and it shipped/arrived very quickly (I got in about 3-4 days from time of late-night order) by Mary Pecci herself!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Depending on whether you're wanting to work on it more from a vocabulary or spelling perspective, you might like The Critical Thinking Company's Red Hot Root Words, Michael Clay Thompson's vocabulary books, or Halvorson's Spelling Works! book.  I think you can get digital copies of the first 2, but I've only been able to find the third as a used book on Amazon.  

• Like 1