Menu

Possible trip to New Hampshire

saraha

You guys were so helpful in planning our Portland trip, I thought I would go to the best source I know for info!

We booked a trip to New Hampshire a year ago for July. The jury is still out on whether we will go, but want to do some planning in case we do. Can anoyone recommend any outdoor activity, parks etc that our kids 10- 20 years old would enjoy? Is it busy in July in New Hampshire? If we go (staying in a time share) we want to limit our activities to outside only and probably won't be eating in restaurants, choosing to cook at the place and maybe get take out or ice cream for a treat.

Anything else I should know? We have never been to New England

Thanks! (I love our community!)

Do you guys like hiking?  Hiking up mountains is the classic New Hampshire activity.  Many, many, many trails, beautiful views when you get to the top!

Oh, heck, I just looked where Lincoln is - right in Franconia Notch.  Yes, you should hike up mountains.  And looks like you're just minutes from Flume Gorge (also outside).  Looks like you're closest to Mt. Lafayette, Mt. Garfield, and Mt. Liberty - find out where the trailheads are.

• Like 2

THanks! To put it in perspective of what we are wanting/willing/likely to do if we go, we are still wearing masks the very little we go into public buildings (in a place where pretty much no one is) we still haven't gotten haircuts, we just now went to the dentist and the only take out we have had since February is from our local Chinese restuarant that has 2 employees, both from China, who mask all the time anyway.

Are outdoor places crowded in July? Like we saw several places where you can hike to waterfalls etc. but don't want to be shoulder to shoulder with people on the trails like anytime of the year in Gatlinburg.

Just now, saraha said:

THanks! To put it in perspective of what we are wanting/willing/likely to do if we go, we are still wearing masks the very little we go into public buildings (in a place where pretty much no one is) we still haven't gotten haircuts, we just now went to the dentist and the only take out we have had since February is from our local Chinese restuarant that has 2 employees, both from China, who mask all the time anyway.

Are outdoor places crowded in July? Like we saw several places where you can hike to waterfalls etc. but don't want to be shoulder to shoulder with people on the trails like anytime of the year in Gatlinburg.

I've never seen the hiking trails in NH be crowded like the Smokies. (Even there, are the trails in the park actually so crowded, or is it just Gatlinburg?)  Flume Gorge, maybe, but you pay for that. I've never actually made it to Flume Gorge... If you hike to the summits (free!), should be fine.  You're smack in the middle of the Presidential range, you won't need to make any long drives for some great hikes. The AMC should have info on trails.

• Like 1

Thanks. I looked up Flume Gorge and they are selling advance tickets only to meter guests. We've been to Smokies lots since it is so close and it seems to always be crowded, trails in the park especially ones that have a "pay off" waterfalls, etc.

18 minutes ago, saraha said:

Thanks. I looked up Flume Gorge and they are selling advance tickets only to meter guests. We've been to Smokies lots since it is so close and it seems to always be crowded, trails in the park especially ones that have a "pay off" waterfalls, etc.

Yeah, one of the reasons I've never bothered with Flume Gorge is you have to pay, and it seems touristy.  To keep away from the tourists do what the locals do and hike up to the summits. Yes, they are longer hikes, but your kids all look old enough to handle it. Pack lots of snacks, water, and lunch to eat when you get to the summit, wear good hiking boots and wool socks.  Bring layers - it can be cool on top even in the summer.  Start early in the day so you can summit by noon or not long after.

Lol, I haven't hiked a mountain in ages; you're making me want to go!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hellen said:

I enjoyed Flume Gorge despite the ticket price.

I recommend Mount Washington.  It's one of the windiest places on Earth.  The drive to the top is scenic.

Yes, drive up. It's the tallest mountain in the range,  so probably a bit ambitious for a hike with kids, and I wouldn't suggest the cog railway in the time of Covid, but the drive up is cool, and the top is kind of otherworldly.  I also think it's the only big mountain there that you can drive up...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the White Mountains.

The hiking in the summer is crazy in Franconia Notch and over the Kancamagus.  The state has had to put up barriers to keep people from parking alongside the interstate highway.  It is definitely bumper to bumper on the hiking trails.  July 4th weeks are the absolute worst in terms of tourists.

We bring visitors to the Flume.  I would skip the tram to the top of Cannon this year because it is enclosed.  Lost River is also very nice.  The Cog Railway is expensive, but you can open the windows to keep your COVID risk down.

Yes, you can do a day trip to Maine this year.

If it were any other year, this is what I would suggest:
NH: (1) Drive over the Kanc for brunch at Red Fox (bring your appetite & make reservations); 302 to Cog Railway; Mt. Washington Hotel
NH: (2) Breakfast at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill; Chutters in Littleton, walk Main St & covered bridge; Hike Arethusa or Zealand
NH: (3) Flume Gorge; Cannon Tram; The Basin; Old Man Memorial; Profile Lake/Echo Lake Park;
NH: (4) Tax-Free Shopping at Tanger Outlet in Tilton; Concord - Christa McAuliffe Planetarium; Boutwells Candlepin Bowling
ME: Odiorne Point Seacoast Science Center in Rye NH; Drive up Route 1 to York Beach & Nubble Lighthouse
VT: Eat at Red Hen; Ben & Jerry's tour; Rock of Ages tour, Morse Maple Farm tour
MA: Freedom Trail; USS Constitution Museum; Old Town Trolley Tour (hop on/hop off)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Amy in NH said:

The hiking in the summer is crazy in Franconia Notch and over the Kancamagus.  The state has had to put up barriers to keep people from parking alongside the interstate highway.  It is definitely bumper to bumper on the hiking trails.  July 4th weeks are the absolute worst in terms of tourists.

Thanks for all that info!

How are New Hampshire residents feeling about tourists being there? We are not planning on eating in anywhere, or going inside anywhere, just doing outdoor things, or if we have to, just taking scenic drives. Is there a spot you recommend for going to the ocean? Or would that be better to do in Maine?

Maine is requiring all visitors (even for a day) to have tested negative within 72 hours (I think—you’ll want to double check) before crossing the border. I’m not sure if you have to show proof, but I hope so.

Please, please, please respect all mandates of every state you go through. For every tourist who think they are an exception, there are a thousand more (To be clear, I’m not accusing you of wanting to get away with violating state mandates!! I appreciate that you are asking the right questions).

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

If you go to a Southern Maine beach, I’d skip York and head up the coast just a bit to Ogunquit. It’s much, much less touristy and it’s *huge*. 

If you follow all mandates and mask, our towns would appreciate a few tourist dollars to help them out. There are lots of cute places along the coast to grab a lobster roll and sit outside. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

We bring visitors to the Flume.  I would skip the tram to the top of Cannon this year because it is enclosed.  Lost River is also very nice.  The Cog Railway is expensive, but you can open the windows to keep your COVID risk down.

Yes, you can do a day trip to Maine this year.

If it were any other year, this is what I would suggest:
NH: (1) Drive over the Kanc for brunch at Red Fox (bring your appetite & make reservations); 302 to Cog Railway; Mt. Washington Hotel
NH: (2) Breakfast at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill; Chutters in Littleton, walk Main St & covered bridge; Hike Arethusa or Zealand
NH: (3) Flume Gorge; Cannon Tram; The Basin; Old Man Memorial; Profile Lake/Echo Lake Park;
NH: (4) Tax-Free Shopping at Tanger Outlet in Tilton; Concord - Christa McAuliffe Planetarium; Boutwells Candlepin Bowling
ME: Odiorne Point Seacoast Science Center in Rye NH; Drive up Route 1 to York Beach & Nubble Lighthouse
VT: Eat at Red Hen; Ben & Jerry's tour; Rock of Ages tour, Morse Maple Farm tour
MA: Freedom Trail; USS Constitution Museum; Old Town Trolley Tour (hop on/hop off)

If anyone goes to Red Hen, let me know - it's 5 min from my house and one of my favorite bakeries! 

3 hours ago, saraha said:

How are New Hampshire residents feeling about tourists being there? We are not planning on eating in anywhere, or going inside anywhere, just doing outdoor things, or if we have to, just taking scenic drives. Is there a spot you recommend for going to the ocean? Or would that be better to do in Maine?

VT is asking people to quarantine for 14 days prior to coming or when you get here or prior to leaving if you can drive here without stopping. There are exceptions if you are coming from an "approved county" - any county with less than 400 active COVID cases per million residents. 

• Like 2

If we go, our route would have us come through, Ohio, a small corner of Pa and NY. We would be staying at a time share in Lincoln, just thinking that even if we can't do anything, at least they are different walls to look at. Thanks so much for all of the info. I saw the thing about  Maine and tests, but weren't sure if they were stopping day trippers and checking (I guess there would have to be checkpoints everywhere) or if that was for people staying in Maine. And don't worry, we promise to mask up.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:20 PM, saraha said:

We're not thrilled that people may be bringing COVID with them from other places and spreading it around here.  Also, these are small towns with limited resources; It is frustrating to think that people are coming on vacation and buying up the groceries which are in limited supply and sometimes unobtainable for families who live here.

I recommended York Beach because it is touristy.  If you want an untouristy beach I'd stick with Wallace Sands in NH.

Edited by Amy in NH

55 minutes ago, saraha said:

Thanks for the honesty. I didn’t realize that groceries and such were still in limited supply

Groceries won’t be in short supply in southern Maine. Everything except bars is open now, and while it’s not normal-summer busy, most places will at least be open and grateful for support.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

Groceries won’t be in short supply in southern Maine. Everything except bars is open now, and while it’s not normal-summer busy, most places will at least be open and grateful for support.

The trouble would be the required test or quarantine. Where we live, there is not widespread testing (I don't care what the gov says, it ain't here). We could pay out of pocket, but it would be $150 each and there are 8 of us, so... We are doing the requirements that New Hampshire is asking for (no going out without a mask etc for the two weeks they are asking for) even though I don't know how they would know if we did. But that's easy since that is what we are all ready doing anyway.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

Not going to New Hampshire, but Dh and I are leaving tomorrow for a few days on the Gulf. We have rented a cottage, and we will not be eating in restaurants. The cottage owner told us not to plan on going into any convenience/grocery stores while we are there. We weren't planning to anyway, because we know from experience how crowded the grocery store is. We may get take out a couple times, but I am taking the majority of our food from home. Salads for each day, frozen leftover, ingredients for quick meals, our breakfast ingredients. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, saraha said:

Is one of the seacoast beaches a better choice than the others? Also, I see how you reserve parking for the state park beaches, are there other beaches we could potentially visit? Thanks!

Hampton Beach is my favorite. It’s huge! 

NH only has 18 miles of coastline, so it’s easy to just drive until you find a nice spot to park and explore.

• Like 1