Menu

How do you do "nature journaling"?

Pster

I am dabbling in this. I guess it's always something we've done but now that dd7 is older I want to do something "more" with it.

Have you made your own pages to do this? What have you included on this? Just leave room for writing, describing what was seen, and for a picture? Is there more to it than that?

I guess this kinda becomes it's own science subject of sorts, doesn't it? I mean it's not going to fit into our space studies.

ty

This is something new that Barb at Heart of Harmony has started just today. This is what we are going to do. I was wondering how to start my nature study/journal and this is just the thing for me.

There are also very helpful links on the right side of her blog under Nature Journal. Her Nature blog is also very helpful...the link is under the nature journal links.

Hope this helps!

The best resource I've seen for this is Cindy Rushton's Nature Study the Easy Way. She not only has content to add to the notebook, but also tips on HOW to actually get out there and DO it.

I think the nature of the notebook (ooo, that was clever, eh? lol) changes as the children age and gain expertise. Depends on your purpose, but for us, the purpose was several fold--we wanted to train dd in the art of close observation in order to foster that basic skill, which is useful in everything from science to art to analyzing literature; and in order to foster a true love and appreciation for the Creator. (I should say Rushton is a Christian, and this comes thru loud and clear in her book, but I think it can be useful even if that's not someone's preference)

Dd's notebook in K and 1st was very basic. I included narrations, her own illustrations (with labels), and some photos. There are a few examples on my blog, under the January entries, if that helps.

Later, we will probably add Latin names, more poetry and reflections, more "scientific" information, etc.

We bought small sketch pads in which each page was half unlined, half lined. We put that and a pencil and a small magnifying glass (wrapped in kleenex so it couldn't start a fire) in a ziplock (very important GRIN). When something exciting happened, like a crows mobbing a hawk, or a strange looking caterpillar, or a funny print in the snow, I had my children draw it and write a few sentences describing it. We also used the nature journals to keep track of the weather and make predictions for the afternoon. They'd note the type of clouds and the temperature in the morning and try to guess what it would be like in the afternoon. Anyone who guessed right got an m+m. When we went somewhere, we brought our nature journals and sketched tidepool creatures or the fish at the aquarium or something. We sketched the birds at the feeder and made notes about their behavior. We also used lots of nature guides; when the children saw a bird, I had them draw it, look it up in a nature guide, and then make add notes about what the nature guide said to their own notes. Also extremely important was coming up with further questions about the creature. They didn't have to be answered, but coming up with them encouraged them to think. All in all, it was a very worthwhile endeavor. The children learned tons of science vocabulary fairly effortlessly, learned about the plants and creatures around them, improved their drawing, learned to observe things closely, learned to be curious and think of questions (good for science, writing, English discussions, and many other things), learned to pick out important information and take notes, practised writing, and learned basic research skills. Pretty good for something so relaxed and fun!

-Nan

Donna Young has some pre-made nature journal pages you can print (I think it's Donna Young!). Somebody had suggested the book Pocketful of Pinecones as a reference. We are actually planning to use simple sketch books. I get nice ones at a local discount store called Ollies. I suppose some of Charlotte Mason's websites would be helpful.

This is perfect!!! What good timing, eh? I just spent the last hour or so looking around at her blogs - why hasn't that caught my eye before?

Let me ask you one thing tho - by using "Mister Linky" at the bottom of that page - does that just link your blog with your nature journal pics and pages to her blog? I thought it was just a way to show what we journaled but then when I clicked on the other links I realized they just went to people's blogs.

My dd7 is very excited to start this - I think I might draw with them too!

thanks again for pointing this out!! :D

We're going to start one with our Astronomy studies, to document the constellations we find. We're also going to identify every tree, plant and bird in our own yard to start off with. I have The Handbook of Nature Study by Comstock on its way to help. Barb's blog, which someone already linked- is a fabulous read for doing this. She's been an inspiration and friend for over a year now.

The key things I know:

- have supplies you'll need, for your children and yourself

- have a focus for the journaling

- read about the focus before you attempt to lead your children, if you're looking at constellations- figure out how to find them and even better, go out the night before and find it yourself so you are familiar

We just checked out field guides from the library to figure out which ones would work for us the best so we can purchase them and my dd7 spent over an hour today identifying seashells she had in her bedroom and looking through a trees field guide trying to identify (from memory) a tree in our yard as well as reading aloud text from an insect field guide. "Look Mom! This grasshopper turns colors, he looks likes he's stone in this picture." She made ME excited to start.

I did try at the beginning of first grade but I failed to prepare before attempting it. Going out into the yard to draw grass isn't very exciting. I should have had a field guide! Lol.

Jessica,

Something fun we did while identifying trees in our yard was to also take bark rubbings. We just took the paper from our notebook and a black crayon, held it up to the tree and rubbed gently with the side of the crayon (paper off). Since yours isn't a loose leaf journal, you might just take a small rubbing (use large paper) and then cut it out.

Ds was doing Apologia Biology at the time, and I had him do a more traditional leaf collection, but dd was not feeling confident in drawing the trees or the leaves at that point, so we also did leaf rubbings for her nature journal. (Come to think of it, we did a separate leaf rubbing book, but that's beside the point!)

Anyway, the rubbings are fun!

As the other poster said, you most certainly can tie in space! It is part of nature, isn't it? lol

Lots of folks I know who do nature notebooks have a page where they've kept track of the moon for a month, or written out the stories of the constellations. In Rushton's books, she has beautiful poems and bible verses for all parts of nature. I think she uses The Heavens declare the glory of the Lord... as one of them.

Anyway, let your mind wander on the idea of nature, and you'll see just how much you can include! Even your child's handprint!